Hi! A question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerotan

Reaction score
So I found a whetstone (Naniwa 150) at a yard sale and it seems that there's some oil on it. When I palm the surface with water, the spot where I think the oil is dries instantly while the rest of the stone face is still covered with a film of water. I've already tried soaking it for hours (with a drop or two of bleach) but to no avail. Also tried using detergent and brushing the stone all over. How do you think I can remove such an oil spot? I read in another forum where someone boiled the stone to remove the oil. Is that safe?

Welcome to the forum. I'm going to move this to the sharpening section.

Welcome!
You could try giving it a run in the dishwasher if you have one. I managed to clean old oil stones that way as long as they are not too oily. I never tried boiling a stone but read about it a lot, seems this gets very ugly so use a dish you don’t want to use for anything else.

Is it an water or oil stone? I remember Naniwa having both.

Regardless, it you are sure it's an oil spot, you could try, on that spot, oven cleaner. I'm not sure what this will do to any water stone. I only do this to oil stones and it's much better than boiling or anything else I've tried. But, with grit in mind, I don't think an oil spot would matter a lot.

Welcome!
You could try giving it a run in the dishwasher if you have one. I managed to clean old oil stones that way as long as they are not too oily. I never tried boiling a stone but read about it a lot, seems this gets very ugly so use a dish you don’t want to use for anything else.

Okay, I might try that. Thanks! Just hoping it wouldn't break or something.

Is it an water or oil stone? I remember Naniwa having both.

Regardless, it you are sure it's an oil spot, you could try, on that spot, oven cleaner. I'm not sure what this will do to any water stone. I only do this to oil stones and it's much better than boiling or anything else I've tried. But, with grit in mind, I don't think an oil spot would matter a lot.

It's a water stone, I think. It had a sticker saying IR-1300 and I checked the Naniwa line and it says it's a silicon carbide stone, FWIW. Might try that oven cleaner first, thanks! Worst case scenario, I'll try the dishwasher thing or boiling it.

Back