Hi from the Netherlands + question about Bay Trade Japan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RolfK

Reaction score
Hi there knife lovers!
Want to upgrade some of my VG10 steel knives, and looking for some advise, Japanese shop experience etc.

For a newbee I've some troubles with use of this forum. Seems I can only post in this part, and the search engine doesn't work, just get errors when searching for something?

Anyway, it will work out in the end I guess :)

For now I'd like to know if anyone has experience in dealing with this seller: Bay Trade Japan by Ryuma Okada, https://chefknivesjapan.com

Is it a reliable company to buy a knife?

Thanks & Best regards! Rolf

Welcome to the forum.

Your first post is approved, you should be able to post most anywhere now. If you'll fill out the "Questionnaire" under the Kitchen Knife subforum, you'll get some advice on knives that is tailored for your requirements.

Welkom, Rolf.
When importing stuff to the Netherlands - or any other EU member-state - expect to pay import tax, VAT according to your local tariff, handling costs.
I have good experience with japanesechefsknife.com
The owner, Mr Koki Iwahara, is very competent and helpful. Shipping costs by EMS are at a flat rate off US$ 7. I normally have it within 5 labour days, biggest delay at the Schiphol airport.
By some magic, I've payed the import rights on every sending from the USA or Japan, but those by Mr Iwahara never caught the customs' attention.
As for the search function, the sites' engine is poor.
Better use the Google instruction:
site:kitchenknifeforums.com Misono AND Masahiro
E.g. when you look for posts in which both terms appear.
Have a great time here!

Welkom Rolf ;). I fully concur with Benuser. If you want some further guidance on importing knives into the Netherlands send me a PM. If you want recommendations, I suggest filling out the 'new knife' questionnaire!

Thanks guys. I've bought some knives from Koki in the past (my VG10's). So I know about his good service & import tax issues. Didn't have to pay them last time I must say.

But right now I'm looking for a Sukenari HAP40 knife, and for some time there's nothing on stock in Koki's shop. :(

That's why I end up with Bay Trade Japan who seems to have (some) stock.

I would still ask Mr Iwahara, perhaps he knows another way. koki @ kencrest.us
Could save on shipping & taxes etc.

I'd at least shoot him an e-mail... Koki can go in and out of stock pretty quickly. Like the others I have good experiences ordering from JCK from the Netherlands.
No experience with Bay Trade.

Yep thks, I did send Koki an email. Just got his answer. It is a matter of waiting, Sukenari has some HAP40 gyoto's ready but not the kiritsuke. It will take some time, probably months.
Never mind, I can wait a bit....
Gives me some time to think it over; and start a new thread in the knife section :)

Extra reason to be cautious IMVHO. Often too flat, tip far too low, great candidate for tip damage when the blade's used forward as in 'guillotine and gliding'.

Back