Hickory Burl

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have found a Shagbark Hickory with a large burl. The burl is about 18'' X 12'' on the side of the tree. does anyone here have any experience with hickory burl or know if it is worth cutting the tree down for? If so, what would be the best approach for processing and stabilizing for knife goodness? I would hope someone like @Dave Martell may give some insight.

I dont know about the burl quality so someone else maybe can enlighten on that. But the process is, cut down, slice up burl maybe 2" slices and then dry (bandsaw-mill will be desireable and for drying speed maybe you want to kiln dry it) so consider the work and time involved.

The inside of the burl could be stunning, or it could be gorgeous, no way to know until you cut it open.

I get the impression that if you aren't already set up for the job then it would take an unbelievable monster size (and excellent) burl to net you any money, if money was part of the equation. Burl wood is expensive to buy because it's expensive to harvest, not only because it's hard to find a good one.

Is it possible to post a picture of the tree/burl? I don't have a huge amount of experience, but have cut up enough burls and burl-like objects to know that not everything that looks like a burl from the outside, is actually true burl, not a funky knot.

These dudes are saying it's got some value (and is challenging to dry):
"It's no more rare than any other burl, as far as burls on trees go. But it is extremely rare in the market, mostly because of it's insane defect tendency as it dries. "
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=88514.0
Apparently pool cue makers like it:
1616358099474.png

That stuff looks like is is worth further investigation. I will try to get some photos in the next couple days.

At my brothers, there is a large burl on an eastern red cedar. It is just along his driveway. I will have to prod him about cutting it also.

Unless the tree is dying or has to be cut down for some other reason cutting down a slow growing elegant tree that can potentially live for over 300 years just to get a 12" x 18" burl seems batshit crazy to me

Unless the tree is dying or has to be cut down for some other reason cutting down a slow growing elegant tree that can potentially live for over 300 years just to get a 12" x 18" burl seems batshit crazy to me
I would agree to this to some extent. If you have a knife with a burl handle, chances are this is exactly how it was acquired. The hickory is on a 250 acre farm where the forest will not be affected by its loss and I would conciser this particular tree, far from elegant. The red cedar is commonly considered pestilent in Tennessee. The particular tree I am looking at has a woven wire fence attached to it.

Back