Hirimoto G3 Opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordanp

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with this line? My friend was looking at it and was wondering if I knew anything about them so I thought I'd ask here.

(specifically the 240mm gyuto)

I picked one up as a beach house/rental/stainless option and was really impressed...way above average bang for the buck. Economic circumstances have me slimming down my knife drawer and I'm actually asking myself the question"...which one do I keep: Tadatsuna, original TKC or G3..."
Just my 2 cents

I dont have opinion, but After mikemac's answer (combined with my love for Hiromoto) I am tempted two days now to buy one

I have a suji in that line. Grind is even and the steel takes a nice edge. I personally prefer Tanaka's g3, but if you want a polished knife with a western handle, the hiro isn't a bad option.

I have a suji in that line. Grind is even and the steel takes a nice edge. I personally prefer Tanaka's g3, but if you want a polished knife with a western handle, the hiro isn't a bad option.

How is it for sharpening? Comparable in edge taking and ease of sharpening to what kind of steel? (never used or sharpened G3)

Sharpens up pretty easily (but the Tanaka is way easier imo...HT differences). Edge I can get off of the stones reminds me of 19c27 and whatever they use the misono ux10.

As far as I have read, G3, 19C27, VG-1 and MBS-26 are considered somehow similar steels. Not very hard, fine grained, easy to sharpen

How is it for sharpening? Comparable in edge taking and ease of sharpening to what kind of steel? (never used or sharpened G3)

I have a pair of Sukenari Ginsan Gyutos and its one of my favorite steels (and favorite stainless for sure) to use and sharpen. I chose the Sukenari over the Hiromoto G3 Gyuto for the Sukenari's wa handle and a bit heavier blade. I have not used the Hiromoto G3 so cannot tell you how the G3 compares between the two makers.

Back