Hitohira TD SLD Tsuchime Gyuto 165mm or Honesuki?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deskjockey

Reaction score
Honesuki 150mm

Gyuto 165mm

The description suggests this Honesuki is double-beveled. The thickness is listed as slightly thinner than the Gyuto and is a few grams heavier.

I am looking for something larger (taller) than a petty and shorter than a Santoku. I need a tougher sturdier blade so, no super thin BTE knives please. My understanding is that this is a semi-stainless blade steel so, that should work well for me. I'm looking for an "outdoor" use knife that won't see the gentlest treatment but, won't be intentionally abused either. I have used a traditional Honesuki in the past but, it steered badly in hard produce or really cold cheddar cheese.

I want something better for camping so, prep areas are a bit rough for a fragile knife but, nothing extreme or unreasonable. I do a lot of vegetable prep for various meals with some of them being on the harder side so, blade flex is something I want to avoid. Being able to bear down on the spine is something important to me as well so, nothing super skinny or 'square'.

Are either of these good candidates for this type of usage? The stamped options I have used a lot in the past work fine for potatoes, celery, and similar but, dull quickly and flex if I'm bearing into a harder vegetable. Since I am camping, tougher things get cut pretty small so they cook reasonably on a backpacking stove so, having a better knife is pretty important to me this year. Prep areas are pretty small and a bit haphazard so I need to stay on the smaller side. Nothing like a >180mm Gyuto which is too big and the Petty options are too small and flexible to be useful on the harder stuff. The cheaper stamped options I have used in the past are a bit dangerous due to flexing and dulling quickly which causes even more blade pressure to be needed so, this really needs to change before I hurt myself.

TIA,
Sid

Last edited:
This folding Santoku seems like it might fit the need. Now if I could only remember where I got my hands on it...
1681522447308.jpeg

1681522469372.jpeg

I have not put it to the test for anything other than a couple of cursory cuts, so I don't know whether the ridging is annoying in some way.

Back