Home butcher mystery boxes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe there's a pill you can take to help with your condition.
2021-03-26_09-02-28.png

Alright time to share what I nabbed from the boxes. I got 2 pies, from blacksmith Jody Hale. One is from his HPWK (High performance work knife) line, it's blue 2 with stainless cladding, the other is a suminigashi damascus clad b2 mini gyuto. Both are ground incredibly thin and even, and have super thin spine thickness as well. Great fit and finish on both. Interesting shape on the first one, kind of like a butcher/trimming knife. I might use it for trimming brisket.

Overall, fun to get these in the mail and check out something new. I might keep one or both... might sell one, who knows. I mainly have workhorses in my drawer so playing around with some super thin lasers might be a nice change of pace

pie1.jpg

pie2.jpg
pie4.jpg
pie3.jpg

Last edited:
Alright time to share what I nabbed from the boxes. I got 2 pies, from blacksmith Jody Hale. One is from his HPWK (High performance work knife) line, it's blue 2 with stainless cladding, the other is a suminigashi damascus clad b2 mini gyuto. Both are ground incredibly thin and even, and have super thin blade thickness as well. Great fit and finish on both. Interesting shape on the first one, kind of like a butcher/trimming knife. I might use it for trimming brisket.

Overall, fun to get these in the mail and check out something new. I might keep one or both... might sell one, who knows. I mainly have workhorses in my drawer so playing around with some super thin lasers might be a nice change of pace

View attachment 238313
View attachment 238312View attachment 238310View attachment 238311
Not a bad haul. Mine should be here in the next few hours

Got a DCBCustom 8.5in chef knife. Overall good F&F although a bit sharp on the choil & spine. OTB sharpness is a 7/10 - no Bess tester to find out.
Handle is more purple than blue but feels nice in the hand and has quite a bit of weight.

Will probably keep it, not what I would have picked out but definitely not unhappy with it.

My photos suck so here’s the link to the same knife

https://homebutcher.com/collections/dcb-customs/products/dcb-customs-8-5-chefs-knife

F87C9C07-F87B-49E9-BAC8-7964789325DC.jpeg
E4355ADA-5E1B-4C91-8DDB-3F520E1870A7.jpeg
B60E907C-0842-419C-AF42-4943FE57DC6F.jpeg

No self control so ordered another one. Have to be done after this!

Have a Knot nakiri from BST on the way, a birch and bevel 230 gyuto from Fredrik Spare on the way, a 270 suji from HVB on the way. And I’m already out of room for any of those lol

Have a Knot nakiri from BST on the way, a birch and bevel 230 gyuto from Fredrik Spare on the way, a 270 suji from HVB on the way. And I’m already out of room for any of those lol

My brother/sister in knife addiction, I'm here to tell you that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. 🤲🏼

I'm on Day 15 without an incoming knife package (oh, except for that Markin).

Rare was the day in January, February and March when I wouldn't have any knives hitting my mailbox – but you do crash into an emotional wall at a certain point where you feel too sated by sharp pointy things (and start running out of storage to hide knife boxes from your SO) that you will stop feeling quite so tempted to buy any more.

Speaking from personal experience, the only thing you may find is that your SICKNESS (Satisfactory Individual Cost of Knife Not to Exceed Sliding Scale) may increase from, say, $6xx to $9xx or $12xx or $15xx before you reach that final point of satiation.

In the meantime, GLWBB (Good Luck With Bank Balance).

My brother/sister in knife addiction, I'm here to tell you that there's a light at the end of the tunnel. 🤲🏼

Rare was the day in January, February and March when I wouldn't have any knives hitting my mailbox – but you do crash into an emotional wall at a certain point where you feel too sated by sharp pointy things (and start running out of storage to hide knife boxes from your SO) that you will stop feeling quite so tempted to buy any more.

Speaking from personal experience, the only thing you may find is that your SICKNESS (Satisfactory Individual Cost of Knife Not to Exceed Sliding Scale) may increase from, say, $6xx to $9xx or $12xx or $15xx before you reach that final point of satiation.

Lol definitely needed this. I think after these last few ones coming in I’m going to try and sell off the first knives I bought and any repeats (don’t NEED 4 nakiris) then use that to fund 1 last buy.

Then it’s back to birthdays and Christmas gifts to myself only!

Is it really a problem if you have a plan? 😅

I bought my first +$1,500 knife last month. More than double the cost of my second most expensive knife. Still contemplating my sanity. Do I keep it or sell it? Time will tell.

I’m out of space and contemplating a custom $800 knife rack.

I keep asking myself, “Is it worth a Kamon?” And then I think “But if I bought another Kamon I’d have nowhere to display it.” And then I think “Yeah, but is it worth a Kamon?”

I keep asking myself, “Is it worth a Kamon?” And then I think “But if I bought another Kamon I’d have nowhere to display it.” And then I think “Yeah, but is it worth a Kamon?”
Negative feedback loop is a bench.

I have a small kitchen and no room for a mag strip on the wall. I have this knife block thing…

https://www.messermeister.com/produ...pWEHaUEpv5YMULLHZZNMmgyvgOcwPbU8aApauEALw_wcB
I hate it. But I don’t know anything else that can hold as many knives. The main problem is it only fits 2 240s and 2 210s before you have to drop down to ~150mm without hitting the counter top

But yes.

Get the knife rack and buy 2 Kamons and send me one

I have a small kitchen and no room for a mag strip on the wall. I have this knife block thing…

https://www.messermeister.com/produ...pWEHaUEpv5YMULLHZZNMmgyvgOcwPbU8aApauEALw_wcB
I hate it. But I don’t know anything else that can hold as many knives. The main problem is it only fits 2 240s and 2 210s before you have to drop down to ~150mm without hitting the counter top
I got one of these:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/131515...-1-9&frs=1&cns=1&sts=1&organic_search_click=1

No issues with longer knives? Handles aren’t bumping into each other when in side by side slots?
The height from bottom of the knife handles to the bottom of the cavity is just under 280mm. I only have two knives that I can't fit well: my Yoake because the spine is so thick and my sujihiki which would barely fit but makes me a little uncomfortable because it is so close to the bottom. I choose to have the suji in a drawer since I don't use it that often anyway. There are two pairs of handles that touch. I haven't really adjusted them to try to resolve the issue. You do have to be very careful taking them out and putting them away so that the blades are straight up and down. If you have less knives (it holds 18) or wanted them to be more spread out, you could always skip some slots.
tempImagehgvHAw.jpg

The height from bottom of the knife handles to the bottom of the cavity is just under 280mm. I only have two knives that I can't fit well: my Yoake because the spine is so thick and my sujihiki which would barely fit but makes me a little uncomfortable because it is so close to the bottom. I choose to have the suji in a drawer since I don't use it that often anyway. There are two pairs of handles that touch. I haven't really adjusted them to try to resolve the issue. You do have to be very careful taking them out and putting them away so that the blades are straight up and down. If you have less knives (it holds 18) or wanted them to be more spread out, you could always skip some slots.
View attachment 238890
Thanks! Ordered one. Have a little more than 18 knives but I think I could slim down to the main 10-12 lol. The rest can get tucked away in the tool chest which has turned into a knife & stone storage

I’m a drawer guy, btw don’t use one of these wavy wooden insert that pose your knife handles upwards, especially on wa handle knives, I got them stuck two times and have to demolish the backside of the drawer to get it out.

Back