Home butcher mystery boxes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the second box in the mail and this is what it came with.
Not upset about it, was kind of hoping it would be one of the Nakagawas he recently stocked but that’s okay lol.
Knife seems sharp otb and decent F&F. Will have to give it a try in May when 1 knife April is over.

Anyone have experience with Pie knives? I’ve seen their handles on a bunch of stuff but don’t know much about their actual knives

Edit - the box came with no information at all so I’m assuming it’s this same knife. Will have to take some pictures tomorrow

https://homebutcher.com/products/pi...e2-k-tip-gyuto-8?_pos=25&_sid=f4546a081&_ss=r

Here is one I got from the original Boardsmith around 2011 or so. I have a buddy who is trying to recreate it for himself, tho he might leave the sides open. Don't worry about about any open spacing in the pictures, I assure you they are taken.

I second looking at Etsy for vertical knife blocks as long as you have an open portion of your kitchen counter or enough clearance under a cabinet. I think most makers would take a custom order if you want to tweak the measurements, like leaving room for longer knives, having a cleaver slot, etc.

IMG_2327.JPEG
IMG_2326.JPEG
IMG_2325.JPEG

Here is one I got from the original Boardsmith around 2011 or so. I have a buddy who is trying to recreate it for himself, tho he might leave the sides open. Don't worry about about any open spacing in the pictures, I assure you they are taken.

I second looking at Etsy for vertical knife blocks as long as you have an open portion of your kitchen counter or enough clearance under a cabinet. I think most makers would take a custom order if you want to tweak the measurements, like leaving room for longer knives, having a cleaver slot, etc.

View attachment 239574View attachment 239575View attachment 239576
Ended up getting the one @More_Gyutos recommended. Should fit well under the cabinet and hold almost all the knives I have.
Have a feeling I’ll end up using the stand I have + the new one anyway with all the buying I’ve been doing recently

Good luck! I would almost expect something from PIE
The one you got looks nice!

Has anyone noticed a correlation between what brand/type knife you'd get and releases on website? Ex. They release a new knife, decide to toss that in X price point along with other same brands at different price points? Or new knife releases they decide to drop a current line?

Just wondering since the last few that were shared and ordered around the same were pies. And earlier a lot seemed to be Jody.

Anyone on a super budget and get the cheapest box? I almost want to try it if no one else has. I'd probably end up with something like this. 😂
20230501_150425.jpg

This has been kicking around in my parents junk draw (one of many...) for the longest time I thought it was almost just like a letter opener/novelty knife like you'd get from a big company back in the 90s when all of them had little swag stuff to give.

Apparently a D.P. Ghetmann 2" pairing lol... I have small hands and have trouble using it. 🤦‍♂️

The one you got looks nice!

Has anyone noticed a correlation between what brand/type knife you'd get and releases on website? Ex. They release a new knife, decide to toss that in X price point along with other same brands at different price points? Or new knife releases they decide to drop a current line?

Just wondering since the last few that were shared and ordered around the same were pies. And earlier a lot seemed to be Jody.

Anyone on a super budget and get the cheapest box? I almost want to try it if no one else has. I'd probably end up with something like this. 😂
View attachment 240734
This has been kicking around in my parents junk draw (one of many...) for the longest time I thought it was almost just like a letter opener/novelty knife like you'd get from a big company back in the 90s when all of them had little swag stuff to give.

Apparently a D.P. Ghetmann 2" pairing lol... I have small hands and have trouble using it. 🤦‍♂️
I have a feeling most of the mystery stuff is left over from releases. The stuff that hasn’t moved & is over priced.

The pie I got is nice but if I paid the $550 retail would have been a bit bummed

I have a feeling most of the mystery stuff is left over from releases. The stuff that hasn’t moved & is over priced.

The pie I got is nice but if I paid the $550 retail would have been a bit bummed
That also would make a lot of sense. Just stuff that isn't moving.

Yeah, at that price I'd look at other blades also, quite a few options at higher ranges for sure.

Good luck! I would almost expect something from PIE
Right you guys were on this one. Looks like leftover stock that ain't moving. Honestly, overall pretty happy with the mystery knives. Nakiri has an ugly yet super comfortable handle, good fit and finish, hefty, and I get to try AEBL for the first time. The Gyuto is laser thin(kotetsu thin) b2 blade with SS clad, nice handle and decent fit and finish. Would I ever buy these on my own, never, but I'm glad they will join the arsenal. I would do it again for the higher end offerings, just cause I love the mystery, hahha. With 23% coupon is not so bad.

$250 mystery knife
https://homebutcher.com/products/pie-cutlery-ss-6-75-nakiri-1?_pos=27&_sid=e42a0b5e0&_ss=r
$350 mystery knife
https://homebutcher.com/products/pi...8-25-blue2-gyuto?_pos=32&_sid=e42a0b5e0&_ss=r

Attachments

• 20230502_140038.jpg
    20230502_140038.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Right you guys were on this one. Looks like leftover stock that ain't moving. Honestly, overall pretty happy with the mystery knives. Nakiri has an ugly yet super comfortable handle, good fit and finish, hefty, and I get to try AEBL for the first time. The Gyuto is laser thin(kotetsu thin) b2 blade with SS clad, nice handle and decent fit and finish. Would I ever buy these on my own, never, but I'm glad they will join the arsenal. I would do it again for the higher end offerings, just cause I love the mystery, hahha. With 23% coupon is not so bad.

$250 mystery knife
https://homebutcher.com/products/pie-cutlery-ss-6-75-nakiri-1?_pos=27&_sid=e42a0b5e0&_ss=r
$350 mystery knife
https://homebutcher.com/products/pi...8-25-blue2-gyuto?_pos=32&_sid=e42a0b5e0&_ss=r
The nakiri looks good - I have the twin to your gyuto lol. The 210 k tip with the same handle.

The gyuto is fun and Jody Hale (maker of Pie cutlery) is a nice guy. Spoke to him about the knives a bit after receiving my mystery one.
Turns out he’s very local to me too so feel like I got to support a local maker which is a little bit of a bonus.

$250 mystery knife
$350 mystery knife
Thanks for sharing!

The nakiri looks good - I have the twin to your gyuto lol. The 210 k tip with the same handle.

The gyuto is fun and Jody Hale (maker of Pie cutlery) is a nice guy. Spoke to him about the knives a bit after receiving my mystery one.
Turns out he’s very local to me too so feel like I got to support a local maker which is a little bit of a bonus.
Knife bros!

Back