Buying and transporting a knife out of France by plane.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyamateurDK

Reaction score
Hi all.

I just bought a new knife during a hollyday in paris. A 240mm gyuto.

Later i came to wonder if its actually legal to bring it out of France on a flight in checked baggage.

I know France have some pretty harsh laws when it comes to carrying and transporting knives. And the dealer did inform me to use the invoice as a prove i bought it.

Any French guys or ther guys who knows the rules for flying out of France with a kitchen knife in checked baggage ?

Thanks. 👍

France to Denmark you could ship it by courier at a reasonable price

Checked luggage i don't think is a problem. They might open the suitcase to check and leave you a notice that they opened and checked

I don't know what the harsh laws are
Regarding the harsh laws.

I read something about knives being carried always are categorised as a weapon. And that it gives up to 15.000 euro in fine. And 1 year in prison. Unless you have a reason to transport it.

I would say checked luggage is ok... Put the invoice with the knife and why not a little note from you saying you bought the knife in Paris and you're on your way home... Even without invoice, I would have thought it would be ok to carry a knife in a checked luggage

checked luggage is ok.

danmark seems to be a bit weird on importing knives thoug iirc.

customs can always open your bag and mess up your stuff.

but in general. it should be no problem

I had my entire 11 knife collection in my checked luggage when I relocated from USA to Germany 3 years ago. No issues encountered whatsoever.

On the other hand 3 yrs ago TSA seized (and destroyed) from packed luggage a Japanese hori-hori (a narrow-bladed trowel).
Yes, it did resemble a knife in the X-ray, but once removed from the suitcase it should have been recognized as a trowel. And it was in stowed luggage. No explanation, no response to inquiries.

Yes, it did resemble a knife in the X-ray, but once removed from the suitcase it should have been recognized as a trowel.

doesn't matter if it resembled a knife since TSA permits knives in checked bags.... bummer

edit: wait, by packed, did you mean carried-on?

Last edited:
On the other hand 3 yrs ago TSA seized (and destroyed) from packed luggage a Japanese hori-hori (a narrow-bladed trowel).
Yes, it did resemble a knife in the X-ray, but once removed from the suitcase it should have been recognized as a trowel. And it was in stowed luggage. No explanation, no response to inquiries.
Those hori-hori do look quite weapony, like a dagger with endocrine issues.

What did you bought in Paris?
I ended up buying a Kagekiyo white#2 240 gyuto with a black urushi handle.

Haven't tried it yet. But it looks great and have a really good F&F

I was also inside the E. DEHILLERIN store. Charming place, but there knives where simply too rough around the edges ( bad grinding and poor f&f)

I was also looking for some of there induction ready DeBuyer copperpans. But they had non i the right size.

Latest posts

Back