Home use pressure cooker

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta taste it.

I usually make stock one day then defat and reduce the next for 2x strength. The 2x I'll use in recipes.. if too strong (?) can dilute at that point.

Too funny ... go get 'em Rami! A reference is a reference after all ... remember the name - 'spoiledbroth' not 'clean_yummy_stock' ... but I certainly see his point having made stock with my mother as a kid 40+ years ago / definitely a dying art (but at least it is 1.5 to 2 hours with the pressure cooker although I really, really love making the F Laundry veal stock ...)

What "stock" did you make? What pot size did you end up with?

you don't need to cook that long, if I can remember correctly, last time it took somewhere from 30 to and hour to break down the bones, to the point where they literally break down. pressure and temp go hand in hand.

I'm not recommending PC stock but you'll need at least an hour to denature that collagen to gelatin. DDP is correct that you can incinerate the bones, especially with chicken. The secret to clear PC stock is to let the pot cool naturally so even though you were under 15psi for 1 hr, carry over pressure can keep that liquid well above 212 for another hour.

I'm not recommending PC stock but you'll need at least an hour to denature that collagen to gelatin. DDP is correct that you can incinerate the bones, especially with chicken. The secret to clear PC stock is to let the pot cool naturally so even though you were under 15psi for 1 hr, carry over pressure can keep that liquid well above 212 for another hour.

+1, good thing I read that because I'm making some stock tomorrow

Hi Mucho - thanks for the point on the time (don't know what I was thinking ... was making more of a point about my preference of a slow cooking method). Question though - what is your apparent hesitancy on the PC for stock? To be perfectly honest I typically / historically have always made stocks over weekends normally multiple types going simultaneously because I love that ... just curious about the PC comment but thanks for the clarity tip and time error correction (DDPslice as well of course!).

I'm my experimentation, making stock faster doesn't necessarily make it better. The water temperature in the PC can reach over 250. I think this energy in the system pushes (denatures) the gelatin too quickly. They will unravel it to the point that the loses that desirable thickening and flavor qualities good stock brings.

There's a reason why time tested recipes endure. Hey you know me, I'm a modern cook for sure but some things like stock, fermentation and curing, just take time.

I like my method of simmering for a few hours, chill with bones in broth. Then rewarm add mirx cook for an hour or so then strain, chill. This method cooks the stock well below a simmer for as long as it was simmering. And it breaks up the process into two steps instead of one long one.

Hope that makes sense.
MB

Figured something along those lines ... still a nice option when time crunch is at had and you need a quick sauce IMO (duck, pork, etc.) and there is probably a nice crossover with pressure (low, med and high) that could help with getting things right albeit with ultimately increasing time though ... tough to control the pressure obviously without better controls so high it the norm ... FWIW I have a cabin/house at 5200 feet and the PC has been very helpful there for many things but stock wasn't a concern since I just bring it with me.

Thx MB - always nice to chat

Back