How did you get here? On this knife journey that is.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
of course they are. but now there are online sources of facts to contradict stuff.

its the same will all forums. people deciede they think a or b or c for reason x or y or z. and nothing (especially not measurements) will ever change their mind. just look at any audio forum :) audio forums are the best i think. i really love the cable threads..

of course they are. but now there are online sources of facts to contradict stuff.

its the same will all forums. people deciede they think a or b or c for reason x or y or z. and nothing (especially not measurements) will ever change their mind. just look at any audio forum :) audio forums are the best i think. i really love the cable threads..
Gold plated tips with the current running through non-gold solder 🤷‍♂️

Gold plated tips with the current running through non-gold solder 🤷‍♂️

it has to be silver cables!! and you have to reduce the skin effect so the 30Ghz signals your cd-player can't reproduce gets through properly. didn't you know?

also power cables are the most important ones. (And here i kinda agree, because without them the electronics wont work :) )

I grew up rurally with a dad who told me when I was very young that a man always keeps a knife in his pocket. In the basement was a workshop/mud room that led to the garage. All the hand tools were inside and all the big stuff like table saws in the garage, with piles of scrap wood and every other item you could think of (don’t get me started on the outbuildings). A curious kid’s paradise. On the workbench were a couple of small whetstones I used to try to use but of course I just dulled and scratched up knives.

Anyway, when I grew up I struggled with dull knives for many years without even realizing it. Then about 8-9 years ago my wife took a knife skills course and decided she needed a 10” Wusthof Classic. I would bring it to a local kitchen store to sharpen. When that store moved it was a PITA to get the knife sharpened so I decided to finally learn. And here we are.

My girlfriend dumped me and all of a sudden i had all this extra moneyd decided to upgrade my crappy global knives for work and now im here. At this point i dont know whats more expensive my Ex or this hobby

When all my chicago cutlery knives turned into filet knives from sharpening over the years, I knew there had to be a better product out there. In to Shuns I jumped and was ecstatic at the time.
Then I thought, maybe there is something out there better than Shun. Google led me here, filled out the form and ended up with a nice Kochi, which I have been using for 4 years now.
I read every day, and think about buying another knife, but the Kochi is good for what I do, just cook at home every night.

My Grandpa used to whittle little animals, mostly birds, and sharpen his knives on an old teracotta brick. He gave me a folder for by 10th birthday that I still have. When I was 11 my dad gave me 20 bucks to spend on rides at the state fair and I spent it on a small hunter that I quickly lost.

I've always liked cooking and used to host degustation dinners in grad school when we were all poor as hell- I'd buy stupid stuff like a whole salmon that would be my entire food budget for the week and have everyone over then live off rice and beans. I went to Tokyo for a hematology conference in 2002 and on my day off went to the fish market and came away with a small petty and a santoku that I beat up cutting frozen chicken while drunk. My knife collection remained static for basically the next 15 years until I got sick of my globals and wanted something better. Decided to get a Gyuto for myself for my 40th and fell into a wormhole. Spent weeks reading up on steel compositions, reading reviews of different makers and eventually got a Takeda 270 and some shapton glass.

That was about 2 years ago- now have about 15 more knives, a few more synthetic stones and recently popped my J-nat cherry.

My girlfriend dumped me and all of a sudden i had all this extra moneyd decided to upgrade my crappy global knives for work and now im here. At this point i dont know whats more expensive my Ex or this hobby
ALWAYS the EX, I've had a girlfriend last year who used to blow 500-6000 per night on fine wines and meals, just for ourselves to drink, or entertaining her clients or our guests. Money wasn't a problem and it wasn't like the guests could appreciate the stuff we always brought out to drink, but I just wished we had spent it on other things like more frequent vacations, etc. Knives are a comparatively cheap hobby to me.

6 years old - exchanged a 50$ handmade bullet keychain (souvenir from Norfolk visit) for a dirt cheap, dulled to oblivion folding knife. Wanted to have a knife more than a great keychain I could still be holding onto. Lost the folding after awhile - by then considered an existential failure.

What happened in between wouldn't be important for this specific journey...

36 years old - separated for 4 years, out of a bloodsucking relationship, paying childcare, and bordering depression. Needed a break - not the pills. Went to live with my father who had recently got separated - and was getting old. He needed not to be alone too. Got to cook almost every night. I think interest in knife came before true interest in better cooking. The everyday motion with cheap knife after cheap knife, and inflicted self-cuts thereof, got me to look at proper knife skills. Which quickly led me to shopping my first good knives - AND to start paying more care for culinary skills.

Got carried on with hype and cheap prices and bought a Global G2. First encounter with KKF happened too, and for the first time my researches did not put the Global into the strats of good knives - like not at all... but I was carried on and went to buy anyway... :p :D :) Also ordered a Victorinox Santoku because of a member here claiming Victorinox truly were the good guys of cheap market knives, and apart the Global Chef I had already ordered, a Santoku seemed to be the only other useful knife to me. Got the Global first, unboxed it, used it, hated it (that's over cheap Cuisinart ceramics, or SS, Chefs), thought about it, fraudulently sent it back as unboxed and got an All-Clad 12.5 fry pan instead. Got the Victorinox in the meanwhile from another online source and loved it - absolutely. It was so much later on that I realized that it wasn't such a sharp knife at all - more of a quite thin, properly made, dimpled blade that was inherently so ever slightly advantaged in some cuts - and so ever really better than any Cuisinart knife. On the first encounter, the Victo's "sharpness" and good behavior were a revelation to me. I think I never had truly believed that a knife could truly lead the cut before that moment. Folding knife regressive anxiety, ya know.......

Still needed a Gyuto, went against any type of hype whatsoever to buy the always overlooked-discredited Diplôme line of Zwilling, because I thought a Wa handle was somewhat suspicious (deciding against Miyabi Koh, and discovering in the process that the Diplômes were pretty much the Yo version of Miyabi Koh). Got both the Santoku and Gyuto. Loved both. That was much nearer of sharp than anything before - and those F-grinds had truly amazing edge retention, considering the **** I've put them through in the shittiest conditions - bamboo boards.

A f*** up in shipping made those two knives two months late - it was only in the beginning of 2020 that I got them, and meanwhile the Victo Santoku, and much time spent reading here, had already opened the door in my mind... that of a proper J-Knife. Still I made a last stand in the W department - a Victo 10" Chef. Loved it enough to waste another month not looking back on my choice to avoid handmade knives once again, although it was nowhere near equal to the Diplômes sharpness or pleasures, which kept me on the rim between not attempting anything, and plunging head first into J-knives.

Got a Misono, a Moritaka, a Takayuki, a Mazaki, a Kurosaki since... and I can feel it won't stop there, although I made some kind of a calculated regression just tonight. That is, while looking at 500$ Gyutos because my next purchase is coming soon... stronger than any will left in me to keep this journey on the budget side. This is nothing, I may have spent over 25K in PC stuff while making another 40K come in for various reasons at work, or for personal jobs. What's a 2K already spent on knvies?

6 years old - exchanged a 50$ handmade bullet keychain (souvenir from Norfolk visit) for a dirt cheap, dulled to oblivion folding knife. Wanted to have a knife more than a great keychain I could still be holding onto. Lost the folding after awhile - by then considered an existential failure.

What happened in between wouldn't be important for this specific journey...

36 years old - separated for 4 years, out of a bloodsucking relationship, paying childcare, and bordering depression. Needed a break - not the pills. Went to live with my father who had recently got separated - and was getting old. He needed not to be alone too. Got to cook almost every night. I think interest in knife came before true interest in better cooking. The everyday motion with cheap knife after cheap knife, and inflicted self-cuts thereof, got me to look at proper knife skills. Which quickly led me to shopping my first good knives - AND to start paying more care for culinary skills.

Got carried on with hype and cheap prices and bought a Global G2. First encounter with KKF happened too, and for the first time my researches did not put the Global into the strats of good knives - like not at all... but I was carried on and went to buy anyway... :p :D :) Also ordered a Victorinox Santoku because of a member here claiming Victorinox truly were the good guys of cheap market knives, and apart the Global Chef I had already ordered, a Santoku seemed to be the only other useful knife to me. Got the Global first, unboxed it, used it, hated it (that's over cheap Cuisinart ceramics, or SS, Chefs), thought about it, fraudulently sent it back as unboxed and got an All-Clad 12.5 fry pan instead. Got the Victorinox in the meanwhile from another online source and loved it - absolutely. It was so much later on that I realized that it wasn't such a sharp knife at all - more of a quite thin, properly made, dimpled blade that was inherently so ever slightly advantaged in some cuts - and so ever really better than any Cuisinart knife. On the first encounter, the Victo's "sharpness" and good behavior were a revelation to me. I think I never had truly believed that a knife could truly lead the cut before that moment. Folding knife regressive anxiety, ya know.......

Still needed a Gyuto, went against any type of hype whatsoever to buy the always overlooked-discredited Diplôme line of Zwilling, because I thought a Wa handle was somewhat suspicious (deciding against Miyabi Koh, and discovering in the process that the Diplômes were pretty much the Yo version of Miyabi Koh). Got both the Santoku and Gyuto. Loved both. That was much nearer of sharp than anything before - and those F-grinds had truly amazing edge retention, considering the **** I've put them through in the shittiest conditions - bamboo boards.

A f*** up in shipping made those two knives two months late - it was only in the beginning of 2020 that I got them, and meanwhile the Victo Santoku, and much time spent reading here, had already opened the door in my mind... that of a proper J-Knife. Still I made a last stand in the W department - a Victo 10" Chef. Loved it enough to waste another month not looking back on my choice to avoid handmade knives once again, although it was nowhere near equal to the Diplômes sharpness or pleasures, which kept me on the rim between not attempting anything, and plunging head first into J-knives.

Got a Misono, a Moritaka, a Takayuki, a Mazaki, a Kurosaki since... and I can feel it won't stop there, although I made some kind of a calculated regression just tonight. That is, while looking at 500$ Gyutos because my next purchase is coming soon... stronger than any will left in me to keep this journey on the budget side. This is nothing, I may have spent over 25K in PC stuff while making another 40K come in for various reasons at work, or for personal jobs. What's a 2K already spent on knvies?
Have you tried a Gengetsu? It's really nice. I hear directly ordered with several pictures exchanged before hand or bought in person TF Denka is out of site. Then there's the custom makers also...:cool:

My Dad would come home from work at NASA and go out to his large workshop with piles of wood, various boats, lots of old tools. He would sharpen chisels on Arkansas stones. He built me a sailboat and a hydroplane speedboat when I was a kid. We injected closed cell foam through a hole & plugged it. That little speedster was unsinkable.

Came to Hawaii at 19 years old 1969 had a Uncle here first thing he asked me is if I built boats. He was officer on a Sub WW2. Worked for Navy at Pearl Harbor.

Worked on Sport Fishing boat & cleaned lots of fish. Also would go bottom fishing with the owner of the boat on weekends once a month. We would catch so much fish anchored on banks off Molokai. I used a stone on the boat to sharpen fish knives. I got them sharp.

Started working in kitchens at night so could surf in daytime. Used Forschners 10". Little Sakai slicers from Japan that was sold at Longs Drug Stores. Would sharpen knives on a small king water stone. I was airbrushing surfboards popular in early 1970's shoot design on shaped board foam before glassing. Lady at Nick's Fishmarket restaurant where I worked told me I should learn Ice Carving since I was artistic. I went to Sheratin Waikiki Hotel where Stanton Ho was the Ice Carver. He taught me Ice & Tallow sculpture. He later went to work in Vegas was a good friend would go fishing with his dad. Stanton passed away couple years ago.

There was massive cutting. At time was largest banquet hotel in Hawaii. We would do up to 2,000 person parties. Still using Forschners cutting cases of mushrooms, bags of carrots and onions you get the picture. Carved steamship rounds for large double line buffet tables. For really large parties two double lines ice carving on each with steamship round at end of table. Had a forschner meat carving blade. Used a large King stone at work to keep my blades sharp.

When Stanton went to Vegas gave me his Tallow sculpture job at Kahala Hilton. I would go to a back room & fix up old pieces, make some new ones. It was good pocket change they paid me in cash.

Next went to Kuhio Prince Hotel. My ice carving business was starting to grow just word of mouth getting quite a few jobs. Kelly of Surfrider Hotels bought Hotel had meeting with all department heads told them to give names of slackers and strong union employees. The let everyone go & said to come back to see if you still had a job. Most of use got or jobs back. They paid same & benefits on par. And busted the Union. It took a couple weeks for local 5 to get organized. The lawyer working for Kelly had been working for the Union before.

Remember it well my birthday Oct 13 , the food show of Pacific that I had entered food items and Tallow angel centerpiece, and the picket line went up at the Hotel. I was at the food show won first place for the angel. Got three job offers that day last was Kahala Hilton they needed a Ice Carver. I worked there over 25 yrs. before retired . Was working butcher helper, George the butcher used carbon steel knives and got me my first carbon Masamoto 240mm 1982. George passed away few years ago. Had the knife only few weeks when asked to help Sushi Chef from Japan prep. They hired him as special service promotion in the Seaside restaurant . He was getting smashed couldn't keep up
It was a big deal to have Japanese national at the hotel making sushi. I was using my new Masamoto helping him prep. He told me that it was a very good knife and showed me Japan style sharpening.

I can't remember exactly, lol. Some random Panasonic open-ear headphones I found in an electronics store that let you try them in person. And some lower-end Sony closed cans. Neither were great because I was in grad school, but they fit my taste perfectly for my budget. I'm still treble-sensitive and prefer darker headphones - some might say 'veiled' but I say their hearing is probably shot. Currently satisfied with the Sennheiser 558 at home and Sony MDR-1 in the office.

Sennheiser 558 FTW, still love mine, and still going strong after 6 odd years. They probably fell on the floor 300 times by now. Never happened that I put them on and realized that they sucked, or that the earpads were getting uncomfortable. Always a perfect experience with music (of course boom boom lovers should pass) - and with movies and multimedia too, picking up muffled details in the latter to an amazing extent. I guess people will never realize the potential of a good open ear, or good quality stereo, with soundstage (compared to overrated surround headphones/AV) before they get something of at least that quality. Getting that quality is soooo cheap with earphones, compared to the real stereo kit.

Sennheiser 558 FTW, still love mine, and still going strong after 6 odd years. They probably fell on the floor 300 times by now. Never happened that I put them on and realized that they sucked, or that the earpads were getting uncomfortable. Always a perfect experience with music (of course boom boom lovers should pass) - and with movies and multimedia too, picking up muffled details in the latter to an amazing extent. I guess people will never realize the potential of a good open ear, or good quality stereo, with soundstage (compared to overrated surround headphones/AV) before they get something of at least that quality. Getting that quality is soooo cheap with earphones, compared to the real stereo kit.

Plus, you don't piss off your neighbors.

(In a condo with limited soundproofing, I'm constantly aware of and worrying about noise. Looking forward to moving.)

With open ears you still have to be wary of your immediate surrounding's nerves, however. Drawback if one may, but I truly cannot bother much for closed ears anymore for my main.

Audiophile here, but I never claimed cables made difference. A good set of ones, audio wise, only needs to be well insulated enough. :)

Had used german knives all along, and first dabbled into Japanese knives when buying a Fujiwara petty to see what the difference was. I certainly like it much better, until my father-in-law used it to open what I guessed was a tin can of vegetables... in fact I lost 3 knives all of a sudden (bent tips, crooked blade). Was not happy to say the least, until I started doing more research into Japanese knives for replacement, and then fell down the rabbit hole...

Back