How do you keep track of the knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruso

Reaction score
My small "arsenal" of kitchen knives is getting bigger. I am on a breaking point of remembering each maker, line, steel type etc.. for each knife. I know that many of you have much more knives than I do. How do you manage to keep track of each one of them?

I have all the blades written down, with maker, steel, model and weight ootb

I track them in my profile here, though an Excel spreadsheet might make more sense since I'd include more information (date aquired, source, purchase price, etc.). If I bought and sold like many people here, I'd definitely keep a spreadsheet (although the dollar amounts might be hard to look at!).

Looks like excel is the way to go.

P.S. My wife would be so happy if I followed panda's advice :p However, I can't imagine parting with any of them.

I track all knives I'm interested in, own, and previously owned in a google sheet. I have the sheet setup so I can sort by, maker, knife length, knife type, steel, construction/finish, price, and price/mm.

You have to keep that **** tight. I seem to remember P. Tiger saying something about being able to play with all the toys unless you let some go.

"The object’s not to own all the toys in the world, the object is to play with all the toys in the world. And you can’t play with them all if you keep them, you’ve got to keep trading them off."

American Pickers

I keep a file on each knife and a master list. Maybe a little OCD, but it works for me.
I actually really like the concept; would be good to have pics, stats, purchase/PayPal invoice, etc. for insurance purposes. Right now I have them in my profile and would have to hunt for (both electronic and/or hard copy) invoices, CBSA import documentation, pictures… I think the file will be an upcoming project :running:

Spreadsheet here too. Compiled from PayPal history that I exported, my account history from various vendors, and emails.
A bit of a PIA but worth it for record keeping.
That reminds me I need to update for the last year ... Yikes.
Wait until you sum total and see the figure at the bottom of your list. You may get a shock!

Every knife i purchase First always keep the box, and put the receipt/ transaction copy along with information about the knife in the actual box (behind the blade portion that is usually removable. Heaven forbid something happens to me and my wife sells them for what I told her I paid for them.

I feel inadequate now. When new knives arrive, I just tear into them, slap them up on the wall and take a family shot. I have two wall magnets that holds about 20 knives, essentially my whole collection. When one goes up, one goes out. Unfortunately I got myself into a corner or sorts as an unexpected 210 Kato WH is coming tomorrow that is going to make this set pretty tight.

84 knives Matteo? oh my

Excel all the way; my file resembles Echerub's file, yet on steriods; even calculates the collection's value upon opening by pulling in the latest exchange rates.

I think I am past the 30 knives threshold by now ... and I am worried to start that Excel list, even though I should. I really don't want to realize how much money I spent on knives so far ... given that my most expensive knife up until last year cost $200 ... and so far this year I have gotten a Dalman, Tansu, Haburn and Tilman ... well and Watanabe, Kurosaki ... LOL... and waiting to get my Marko T. I am done for the year ... or so I keep telling myself LOL

I need more knives so that I can have this problem.

The excel sheet uploaded to a cloud server with pics is actually a stunning idea for insurance reasons. I think claiming you own multiple $2000 knives would be a pain.

I think I am past the 30 knives threshold by now ... and I am worried to start that Excel list, even though I should. I really don't want to realize how much money I spent on knives so far ... given that my most expensive knife up until last year cost $200 ... and so far this year I have gotten a Dalman, Tansu, Haburn and Tilman ... well and Watanabe, Kurosaki ... LOL... and waiting to get my Marko T. I am done for the year ... or so I keep telling myself LOL

You won't be done for the year until December 31st. Ask me how I know.

Latest posts

Back