how do you measure?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinacats

Reaction score
Never really thought too much about it, just used whatever was most handy...usually a cloth tape...I have two sets of digi calipers that I usually reserve for blade thickness measurements when thinning, etc. Anyway, I wondered about my recent measurements on a couple of knives so figured I'd check out my tape...not a great pic but you can get an idea. It's roughly 3mm off at 50mm :O
...upside is that I sold quite a few knives recently and most were measured with the cloth tape so those people got an extra few mm :doublethumbsup:

20170219_204218_zps2anssmgk.jpg

Would that be shaft to tip length or girth? ;)

Well many people here have measured their 'workhorse' so they could talk about the 'grind'.

common problem, i always start measurements with such tapes at point of 5 or 10cm from the beginning -)

Actually I think only the cm scale is off, since 1 inch = 2.54cm, so 2 inches is more than 5cm, not less. The calliper shows 5cm is less than 2 inches on the tape, so that makes sense.

J :)

mmm.. scale looks ok to me. Cloth tapes stretch!

I tend to begin by sighting down the blade from the tip toward the heel, with the handle facing away and the edge facing up. This gives me a good basis upon which I can judge the curvature of the edge an whether or not you're still reading because I'm just making stuff up.

Latest posts

Back