How long do you simmer for a chicken stock?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my ratios for a 16 quart pot are usually:

4 chicken carcasses
3 carrots
2 yellow onions
2 celery stalks
2 cloves of garlic
1 rutabaga
handful of parsley
handful of black pepper corns
handful of cumin
half bottle of chardonnay
salt to taste (near the end)

and since we are talking about chicken vs veggies, also important to point out that it's best to start the chicken first, from cold water, and skim off all the scum that floats to the top before adding veggies. if you add the chicken and veggies at the same time, a lot of the scum gets trapped by the veggies, and can't be separated easily.

and yes, add water to keep everything covered, but if you have it on a low enough simmer you shouldn't have to do that much, if at all

4h carcasses with some onion peel for color plus 1h with veg (less to do with scum IMO more with the fact if you put veg for 5h it is not going to be pretty)
Comes out jelly
Never boil, barely simmer, no need to clarify
My mom sweated by putting charred onion as a kind of filter - but if you go slow enough no need IMO

2hour max. Otherwise it will go cloudy.
YMMV, but we need a clear chicken stock for commercial usages

What kind of volume are you going through? I rarely had an issue clarifying enough for consummes and found that richer flavor more than made up for the extra time and the rest of the stock and second run were ready for their other uses

removing the chicken meat from bones when tender after about 3h, simmering for another 3 to 5h

? what do you do with 3h simmered chicken meat?

Dog food!
image.jpg

Just as another point of data, Thomas Keller says they do 45 min gentle simmer.

I picked up a pressure cooker and did 90 minutes at 15 psi with a mix of some raw chicken carcass and roast chicken carcass. The stock is far from clear, but it is super gelatinous and fresh tasting. I'd like to get a little more of clean flavor though. I also brought up all the chicken to an initial simmer and dumped that out before refilling with fresh cold water. Defatted it and froze it into 100 mL cubes.

45 min pressure cooker. Filter. Onvernight in the fridge. Remove the fat.
Next step: I cook a risotto for my familly.

Just as another point of data, Thomas Keller says they do 45 min gentle simmer.

I picked up a pressure cooker and did 90 minutes at 15 psi with a mix of some raw chicken carcass and roast chicken carcass. The stock is far from clear, but it is super gelatinous and fresh tasting. I'd like to get a little more of clean flavor though. I also brought up all the chicken to an initial simmer and dumped that out before refilling with fresh cold water. Defatted it and froze it into 100 mL cubes.
After you strain it, you can use a raft and filter it like a Consommé.

Wow, you guys stock times are way lower than what I do. I do roasted bones (these are real clean ) only, overnight lowest temp I can (1 bubble every 5 second) add my vegetables and do a bit higher simmer for 2 more hrs, then strain through some aromatics. Veal I do a full 16hrs super low, then 12 for a remmy. I do a pressure cooker for veg stock because I don't make 200# of that at a time.
I dont see clarity issues or a muddy mouth feel, the only time this happens is if its cooked at too high a temperature.

In the slow cooker on low overnight. Chopping up the carcasses means it doesn’t take much liquid to cover, I reckon on 500ml per carcass. I also don’t add any veg, just roasted bones, water and some cider vinegar.

it’s a weekly cycle of this weeks chicken with gravy made from the frozen stock of last weeks carcass.

Beef or Mutton stock I also do overnight. A warm bowl of cawl made with mutton stock is one of the highlights of autumn.

Back