How many kitchen knives do you own?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I keep a spreadsheet of my Japanese knives only. Where I bought them from, the steel and specs and the purchase price. I also rate them on that spreadsheet on a scale of 1-10 for fit and finish as well as how well they suit my cutting style. I don’t have many but it really has made it more efficient when looking for a new knife that will suit my needs. I’m sitting at

J Knives 15
Other knives around the same (mostly the Victorinox Fibrox for work)

total around 30.

I used to have well over 100. But I'm down to 41 right now depending if you count things like beaters and older knives, and I will stay there. I've spent the time trying figure out what I really like and am pretty close to getting there.
Let us know which you really like, I have gone through so many, I am finally understanding what I enjoy the most 😊 but would be great to hear your view as you have gone through 100🙏

About 40 J knives, probably bought and sold about that many more, have a pretty good idea about what I like, still looking tho ;)

I used to have well over 100. But I'm down to 41 right now depending if you count things like beaters and older knives, and I will stay there. I've spent the time trying figure out what I really like and am pretty close to getting there.
Sounds familiar. I’m thinking 30 as a number to get down to and settle on. Maybe this is the year it finally happens.

20 "high end" knives and probably another 6 knives like mercer pairing, bread knive etc.

I count myself as one of the lucky ones to get your "scraps" ... would love to know what you have decided are 'keepers' ... will have to get down to see Mr Ian and stop in after the whole C-19 BS ...

8 total. Five users (nice cleaver, cheap cleaver, petty, paring, bread) and three that live in a drawer since they are too cheap to bother selling. Oh, wait- another cleaver at my Mom's for when I visit. So 9.

I’m curious to hear from other pros in regards to what you guys consider your collectible knives. What wouldn’t go to work with you. I think out of all mine, the ones that haven’t seen pro kitchens a lot are my Jiro’s. Mainly because I want sayas for them and iron reasons. I try to not bring anything over $500 to work but I usually break that rule anyways. Especially with ShiHan. They all go eventually though. As much as I love collecting, if it’s not going to be something I can actually use at work, I usually don’t pull the trigger.

I’m curious to hear from other pros in regards to what you guys consider your collectible knives. What wouldn’t go to work with you. I think out of all mine, the ones that haven’t seen pro kitchens a lot are my Jiro’s. Mainly because I want sayas for them and iron reasons. I try to not bring anything over $500 to work but I usually break that rule anyways. Especially with ShiHan. They all go eventually though. As much as I love collecting, if it’s not going to be something I can actually use at work, I usually don’t pull the trigger.
For me, if I can't take it to work, I don't want it. With the exception being sentimental reasons.

12. All users. Ive been carefully upgrading and adding to the collection as needed. I want to eventually wear down all my knives like Morimoto.
Once I hit around 30 ish I suppose I'll need to slow the acquisitions and reconsider the collection.

For me, if I can't take it to work, I don't want it. With the exception being sentimental reasons.
I’m glad I’m not the only one haha. I just know that I would lose it if I brought a knife close to 1k into work and some fool did something to it. There are exceptions. ShiHan for example, I feel like my gyuto from JKI is indestructible.

In order for me to justify it financially I need to be able to use it for work.
I can see myself eventually getting customs and honyaki's that I wouldnt want to bring to work just to avoid the risk of it being misused or walking off.

I’m curious to hear from other pros in regards to what you guys consider your collectible knives. What wouldn’t go to work with you.

Every knife I own has been to work for a day on the table. I can use one more in a day at work than I can in a month at home. That said, I've been setting aside a few that only come out at home now. Haburn gyuto, Wat pro gyuto, Martell gyuto, and a few others. Criteria are: difficult to replace based on cost or availability, and high maintenance. My Wat Kintaro Ame Suji does make the trip on the regular but may retire with the addition of a new HVB suji.

55 KKF knives at present time.
Most are in use, but at few are still in their boxes.

Pro here and if I can’t bring it to work it’s got to go. I think my peak was about 30 knives of mixed price and I’ve just for the first time since I’ve started cooking cut it down to knives I only really enjoy and use regularly. It’s been an awesome journey that’s for sure. I just know more what I want now.

Probably around 30 of KKf quality. All are used except 2 Honyakis that I‘m thinking about using some day. This doesn’t count probably another 20 or so Shuns and Henckels from before I saw the light. Have yet to sell a knife but will likely have to eventually if I want to keep feeding the habit.

I have 2 magnetic holders and I keep rotating knives on and off to them.

My final answer is going to be 19 - but that doesn't include several neglected shuns/mercers from years past.

I'm not currently working in a professional kitchen but working out of my home kitchen so I get to use my $500ish knives without (most) worries - which is awesome, and therefore totally justifies (in my mind) such expenditures.

I’m glad I’m not the only one haha. I just know that I would lose it if I brought a knife close to 1k into work and some fool did something to it. There are exceptions. ShiHan for example, I feel like my gyuto from JKI is indestructible.
In order for me to justify it financially I need to be able to use it for work.
I can see myself eventually getting customs and honyaki's that I wouldnt want to bring to work just to avoid the risk of it being misused or walking off.
See, if I worked in a place where I felt I couldn't bring a $1k knife into, I'd probably look for another job. And buy 2-3 $300-400 knives in the meantime :D

Picture in your mind a hoarders home with barely enough space to walk between stacks and boxes, on two floors plus a garage. I found a listing on Craigslist for some nice vintage Sabs and Japanese woodblock prints here in San Francisco a few years ago. The guy was very old and very, very hard of hearing and had been buying mostly knives for the past 45 or more years. He had 5 of these Craftsman Tools style tool boxes overflowing with just chefs knives and even more in boxes. I spent 3 hours carefully combing thru them (most of them junk) to cull out the good ones that some day I'll restore.

That guy definitely had us beat!
craftsman-52-inch-tool-chest.jpeg

I don’t think I have anything collectible per se - I top out at a Dalman, a Raquin, a couple of Y Tanaka, a Tou, use em all at work. I’m probably going to get a Kato at some point and use that at work too. But (at least right now) I wouldn’t get something I really wouldn’t want to bring to work.

North of 70. I must admit there are knives which I have yet to use, and then there are knives which I probably won’t use again despite them being really good blades because I just jive more with others.

I have probably 20 knives or so that form the core part of my rotation.
- 5x Dalmans (cleaver, gyuto x2, petty, suji)
- 3x Raquins (nakiri x2, gyuto)
- 3x Katos (gyuto, suji, petty)
- 1x Rader (gyuto)
- 1x Mert Tansu (gyuto)
- 1x Comet (gyuto)
- 1x Catcheside (gyuto)
- 1x TF (gyuto)
- 1x Glestain (petty, for wife)
- 1x Blazen (petty, for wife)
- 1x Kippington (hook grind gyuto)
- 1x Laseur Chinese Cleaver

60+, I try to use them all, not ashamed of any of them and I don’t want to sell any of them. I haven’t bought one for a couple years now and unless I see something very special I’m probably done collecting. Fun hobby though, and as hobbies go, not all that expensive. Think boating or guns.

Back