How to fix a warped Deba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To play at semantics, is this a "warp" or a "bend" (or are they synonymous?)? For some reason I had it in my head that a "bend" is when the spine axis is skewed, ie, to the left or right (or even multiple bends on the same spine axis), while a "warp" was when the edge to spine axis was skewed, such that you can see the side of the blade when looking straight down on it. A blade can also be both warped and bent, but they're not mutually inclusive. If they're the same, that's cool too, I just don't want to get confused. Also, can someone link this 3 rod method, I'd like to check it out?

To play at semantics, is this a "warp" or a "bend" (or are they synonymous?)? For some reason I had it in my head that a "bend" is when the spine axis is skewed, ie, to the left or right (or even multiple bends on the same spine axis), while a "warp" was when the edge to spine axis was skewed, such that you can see the side of the blade when looking straight down on it. A blade can also be both warped and bent, but they're not mutually inclusive. If they're the same, that's cool too, I just don't want to get confused. Also, can someone link this 3 rod method, I'd like to check it out?
Its warp, if your holding the knife, the tip is warping to the right towards the kanji side.

Sorry for resuscitating an inactive thread...

... But my pedant-sense is tingling:

To play at semantics, is this a "warp" or a "bend" (or are they synonymous?)?

In the kitchen-knife world... I don't know? Perhaps there is some specific lingo I am unaware of.

I would say they are largely synonymous. They both indicate a deformation. If you want to get particularly particular than I would say that "warped" is a more generic term. I think you could use it to describe very complex deformations. "Bent" is effective at communicating a deformation on a single axis (for instance a twist, would not appropriately be described as a bend). I would also say the two describe difference processes of deformation. Blades "warp" from relieving internal stresses. Blades "bend" from mechanical stress.

So...

Looks to me like the deba warped (relieving of internal stresses) causing the tip to bend (primarily single axis deformation) towards the jigane. :p

Wooden hammer and nice beat up end grain wood board (maybe a copper hammer too). Hit it hard and many times on both sides...

Best of luck man.

Since this topic has resurfaced, and the deba is curved so bad that I don’t know if there is anything I can use it for.

I am open for more aggressive ideas, maybe heat it up with a heat gun then hammering it?

Maybe heat up just the spine where the warp is with a very focused small gas torch and keep hitting it hard.

The finish won't bother me, I can always polish it later. I just want to make sure someone else has done it before lol
I don't want to be the first guy trying it out and then end up burning the surface but the blade still warped.

Know some blacksmiths that do this on extreme cases when restoring blades that have some emotional value to the client. Never tried it myself...

watching the thread is really hard for me... a lot of the advice in here is the polar opposite of everything i have learned in Japan. I have a lot of trouble seeing how this can be good advice.

Back