How to remove onion smell from wooden cutting board?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knivperson

Reaction score
How can I rinse of onion smell from my walnut cutting board? Chlorine/bleach or? My girl friend doesnt like the smell. I apparently cant smell anything.
Soap and water doesnt do the trick.
Any advice?

Same here; lemon juice + salt slurry. I just have one of those cheap literbottles of lemon juice in the fridge for cleaning purposes, don't need fresh.

How can I rinse of onion smell from my walnut cutting board? Chlorine/bleach or? My girl friend doesnt like the smell. I apparently cant smell anything.
Soap and water doesnt do the trick.
Any advice?
Endgrain? Never been an issue on my well oiled dense endgrain Walnut boards. Just wipe with warm water as soon as I'm done.

Bleach should be fine honestly but it’s overkill for routine maintenance imo. It can leave a residue and I wouldn’t want to use it that often. If you need to sanitize it to get over the smelly phase give it a whirl though lol.

Last edited:
Cut an apple or a potato and rub it on the board. You might need to grate it if the smell is really bad. Let it sit for a few minutes. Clean and dry. Also agree this is less of an issue if your board is well oiled and waxed.

This is one of the reason to keep the boards oiled. A dry board absorbs the liquid like a sponge
Quoted for emphasis. Prevention is better than curing. Keep it oiled (or waxed) and wipe it off after using and you'll never run into this onion problem in the first place.

I’ll wipe my cutting board down with regular white vinegar. That seems to kill any odors or bad flavors food might pick up.

what @coxhaus said. As soon as you see the wood turn to a lighter color, give it some oil. Also I like using spoon butter for my board (a mixture of linen seed oil and bees wax). In moderation.

Back