I’m torn - Munetoshi KU or Mazaki KU 240 gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi KKF,

I’m making rounds through sanjo makers and have yet to try a KU Munetoshi or a KU Mazaki.

I’ve read great things on both but don’t have the budget approval from the wifey to buy multiple knives to feed my curiosity.

I’m torn on which to go for and realize they are probably more similar than different but would appreciate some feedback from those that have used both.

If you had to snag one of them in a 240 KU white 2 gyuto which would you go for? Any notable goods/bads or differences worth considering?

Thanks for the input.

With the maz you get more distal taper with a thicker spine at heel, thinner tip, better fit and finish, and usually slightly more height if that’s what you’re into. Both have great looking KU/nashiji that are relatively stable. With munetoshi, it’s slightly more affordable, the grind is less consistent, but my subjective feeling is that his heat treat is harder. If you have the skillset to set geometry to your liking/refinish knives, polish spines/choil munetoshi is a great option but mazaki I think is a generally better knife out of box. This all being I’ve sold my maz and kept my mune - and Wakui is still my favorite sanjo maker even over Toyama.

I know this wasn’t your question but with the 20% off bernal deal only for today - this is a no brainer for me.

https://bernalcutlery.com/products/...hiji-ho-octagonal?_pos=4&_sid=05b7b0f47&_ss=r

Great deals here too!! I’d act fast!

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/mazaki-yoshikane-sakai-kikumori-manaka-hamono.70627/

Last edited:
As a flat profile enjoyer, Maz all the way, Munetoshi is too curvy. Mazaki also has more distal taper and heel height. Based on having thinned both, Mazaki's grind is easier to clean up than Munetoshi's. (2023 version)

Steel wise, Mazaki's White #2 heat treatment is easily my favorite of any White #2 I've tried - which includes Yoshikane's, Munetoshi's, and both Nakagawa's Wh1 and Wh2.

Last edited:
Sorry to complicate things but you mentioned KU, Sanjo and wh2.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...osaki-doi-mazaki-and-more.70507/#post-1086666
Haven’t seen these Yoshikanes available anywhere in quite awhile. Not saying they’ll never be made again but you never know. If history is any lesson they’ll likely disappear just as most the yoshi greats did.
Mazaki and Mune will be around. I’ve used all 3 and liked them all but if it was me I’d buy this one.

I gave my brother in law my yoshi 240 W2 skd with Nashiji finish, I kept getting micro chips on it. My bunka has not chipped. I replaced the 240 with a maz 240 as. Loving it.

Sorry to complicate things but you mentioned KU, Sanjo and wh2.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...osaki-doi-mazaki-and-more.70507/#post-1086666
Haven’t seen these Yoshikanes available anywhere in quite awhile. Not saying they’ll never be made again but you never know. If history is any lesson they’ll likely disappear just as most the yoshi greats did.
Mazaki and Mune will be around. I’ve used all 3 and liked them all but if it was me I’d buy this one.
I almost jumped on the yoshi santoku.

I love my Munetoshi 210 so much that I am considering one of the Bloomery ones.

Maxim did all the pretty work he does to the bloomery stuff to a reg wh2 Munetoshi. Thinning and shinogi tweaking. Think he put it up for $300. Seems like a good deal.

Maxim did all the pretty work he does to the bloomery stuff to a reg wh2 Munetoshi. Thinning and shinogi tweaking. Think he put it up for $300. Seems like a good deal.

I just removed the KU on mine but left the stock grind

IMG_2190.png

2023 KU Mazaki has a reaaaal nice profile. Quite good food release, thick spine, very thin tip, gets pretty thin BTE. It's the reason I sold my Kochi 240, better edge retention than the V2. I've actually based a bunch of custom requests off that Maz since I got it. Has a lot of things I really like and is super versatile. Rehandled mine with a JKI Kochi handle over that dumbass walnut one. Worth it.

I think Munetoshi are a little more variable in grind but I happened to get a nice thinner 240, especially compared to the nakiri it was thinner BTE and I really do enjoy it. It's more curvy profile but the sweet spot is quite large in my experience. Food release is better than Maz on everything soft, when you get to hard butternuts it gets back to fairly even. It's hard to explain but there's something more soulful about the Munetoshi despite the Maz being better on paper. Idk it's just an exceedingly comfortable knife to use for everything in one meal. It's forgiving yet high performance. Possibly slightly longer edge retention than Maz but I need to do a side by side again to back that up

20221208_161426.jpg
20240130_095856.jpg

20230805_131942.jpg

20230805_131852.jpg

20221217_091210.jpg
20221217_091204.jpg

Last edited:
Back