I don’t love seasoning carbon steel.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
Unlike some of you, it isn’t my jam. I’m okay at it. Not great. I don’t do that layer upon layer flaxseed thing. I think it works better on cast iron anyways.

I finally got my new wok. I really wanted a handled one, despite the perfect nonstick performance of my old vessel. I cooked garlic green beans with it and it was so nice being able to move the wok over the serving dish and dumping the food. I can’t do that easily with the other wok. I find it too awkward and hot.
I just burned it in, and burned some oil in it a few times. I’ll cook easy dishes in it initially. Maybe a few deep fries. I anticipate a few “noodle struggles” in the beginning.

Here we go again. :)

maybe I should buy some PAM cooking spray. Haha.

Attachments

• BC912B08-F791-4511-82D9-633F4F883A7A.jpeg
    BC912B08-F791-4511-82D9-633F4F883A7A.jpeg
    215.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 205213FD-42C2-4ABC-A707-BECCC53DFCE1.jpeg
    205213FD-42C2-4ABC-A707-BECCC53DFCE1.jpeg
    213.2 KB · Views: 79
Unlike some of you, it isn’t my jam. I’m okay at it. Not great. I don’t do that layer upon layer flaxseed thing. I think it works better on cast iron anyways.

I finally got my new wok. I really wanted a handled one, despite the perfect nonstick performance of my old vessel. I cooked garlic green beans with it and it was so nice being able to move the wok over the serving dish and dumping the food. I can’t do that easily with the other wok. I find it too awkward and hot.
I just burned it in, and burned some oil in it a few times. I’ll cook easy dishes in it initially. Maybe a few deep fries. I anticipate a few “noodle struggles” in the beginning.

Here we go again. :)

maybe I should buy some PAM cooking spray. Haha.

Nice wok! I’m so over intentionally seasoning pans. Layers of flaxseed oil? Give me a break. It’s an exercise in frustration. Now I just cook no-moisture dishes with it till it sings.

Nice wok! I’m so over intentionally seasoning pans. Layers of flaxseed oil? Give me a break. It’s an exercise in frustration. Now I just cook no-moisture dishes with it till it sings.
This, I don't bother with seasoning, just do tons of low temperature frying till the seasoning builds up.

I gave up on cast ions all together. Loving the ceramic coated stainless steel wok, easy yet healthy. No more seasoning & no more scratching up my glass stove top by the cast ion bottom.

Nice wok! I’m so over intentionally seasoning pans. ...

No hurt in using this method IMHO...
Grandma didn't do anything exotic,
other than cook alot...

I still do a couple layers of flaxseed oil outside. Can't be too thin. To finish making it ready I then chop and char all the onions I have on hand - a take off on Grace Young's seasoning. And I'm happy.

I still do a couple layers of flaxseed oil outside. Can't be too thin. To finish making it ready I then chop and char all the onions I have on hand - a take off on Grace Young's seasoning. And I'm happy.
If the rain stops I’m gonna stir fry all my expired onions and green onions today. Great reminder! Thx

I actually scrubbed my carbon pan to remove the carbon buildup. I think the use of PAM caused an unnatural buildup. I’m just goons use it searing burgers or something.

Attachments

• 47275CD2-8E5D-4BA5-9BEE-F539C6EA6B38.jpeg
    47275CD2-8E5D-4BA5-9BEE-F539C6EA6B38.jpeg
    98.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 8196FE23-CC52-4EA4-8FF0-A0D6FB961687.jpeg
    8196FE23-CC52-4EA4-8FF0-A0D6FB961687.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 38
Keep in mind, a certain amount of base layers are good just to keep off rust etc at bay in between cooking sessions,
otherwise you can get by doing the gramda (cook a ton) no problems ;)

Back