I messed up my knives. Help needed!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know that your wrong, recurve is often used around here to talk about a heel being rounded upwards, and overgrind to talk about a hollow in the edge - although I've seen recurve used as well I think.

Jon is so good on stones, it's a show of itself to watch him at it. Such control and precision, and that perfect audible feedback at each stroke.

Jon is so good on stones, it's a show of itself to watch him at it. Such control and precision, and that perfect audible feedback at each stroke.
I haven't reached that level of being able to notice the sound yet. But that's the next level!
What impresses me most is the conciseness. It can only be achieved when you really know your craft.

recurve=
C227GP_Both.png

A slight belly wont' be a problem, but more that I see in the photo is going to be a pain unless you are in the habit of rocking your knife -- not something I recommend with Japanese knives since the temptation to rotate the blade at the same time will lead to chips.

An over-grind is where one side, usually in a small part, has been ground too much and will result in a "rise" in the edge when the knife is sharpened enough to meet the hollow in the side. Not usually a problem in thicker knives, but very thin profiles and hand finishing/forging can result in this problem. Think of it as a "dent" in the side of the knife that gets very close or past the centerline.

I have a Korean knife that will eventually have an overgrind affect the edge, it's as rough as a cob and has had the bevel ground with a very coarse stone, has saw marks on the back, and was very inexpensive. It's my favorite knife, seems to be high grade carbon steel, takes and holds a great edge, and tolerates quite a bit of abuse. I'd prefer a flatter profile (too much belly) and it's shorter than ideal, but I use it more than anything else in the kitchen. Killer on onions for instance. I just have to remember the high heel and "roll" the knife when slicing things.

Back