Iberico pork collar?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sudsy9977

Founding Member
Reaction score
Ok so I got a little gift , some iberico pork collars. I am well versed in cooking but don’t want to ruin it. And have never tried any iberico pork. Any thoughts? Slow roasted in the oven? Maybe some kind of apple cider sauce? Garlic and herbs? I would like to try skis vide but my wife hates anything sous vide and refuses to try it. Maybe one piece in the oven and one piece sous vide.
I have two pieces , one like 2 pounds and one a little over 3. Ryan

If it's decent Iberico pork you'll LOVE it as cheek and collar are great pieces, I favor Mangalica over Iberico but they are pretty much the only pork we eat...from the marbling and smell you should be able to judge it's quality.

Slow and low is the way to go, sous vide works well too. Flavoring....I'd do a first round with minimal flavoring to get an understanding of the flavor profile of the meat itself, and then do whatever you like with it.

totally.

my 2 pennies:

dry brine it. then give it a little bit of wood smoke, roast it on a rack in the oven at a low temp.

Slice it in 1/2 inch thick slices and grill it at high temp. Before you flip it each time brush the slices with a decent quality sherry. Serve with a citrusy shaved fennel salad and perhaps a romesco. The sweetness of the sherry and romesco go really well with the rich nutty fat from the pork. One of the better cuts to get off of any pig let alone iberico.

All suggestions sound good. I think I’ll go for low and slow. I actually froze it cause I couldn’t decide. I heard I might have some bershire pork cheeks coming too. It’s like pork Christmas at my house

You could turn some of it into collar ham ("Kammschinken" in German). I made some of that yesterday. Not Iberico pork, but you get the idea :)

This is the piece of meat:
IMG_4642.jpg

And the finished thing after curing and cooking. With home-made pickled cucumbers :)
IMG_4643.jpg

Last edited:
holy fuggin shid.

I gotta have that

+ some kinda hot sauce, thinly sliced white onions.

+ BEER.

Back