In-laws are visiting for a week—Knife strip before and after in preparation for MIL.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reforminded

Reaction score
IMG_5192.jpeg
IMG_5193.jpeg

Love it! For spontaneous visitors just keep a 2nd pre-populated knife strip that you can quickly pull out of the cupboard.

Love that Victorinox bread knife for the money.
3rd from right is a Herder?
What´s that shiny nakiri?

Love it! For spontaneous visitors just keep a 2nd pre-populated knife strip that you can quickly pull out of the cupboard.

Love that Victorinox bread knife for the money.
3rd from right is a Herder?
What´s that shiny nakiri?
3rd from right is a vintage 1940's "LL Bean" Dexter.

Nakiri is Hitohira - Kikuchiyo x Yohei - Ginsan - Kasumi - 180mm. MIL would't know what to do with a knife shaped like that so I'm not as worried about her grabbing that one lol.

My in-laws would probably use that paring knife on the left for everything anyway. At least for cooking.
I might worry that they would use one of the larger knives if a door got stuck or something like that.

Very smart move. Don’t forget the cast iron and carbon steel pans. My extended family knows not to touch my knives (especially the ones with “funny” handles), but I’ve had a few pans take a beating when the MIL visits.
Thankfully she only knows how to cook on non-stick pans, which according to her are the only way to cook good food, so my 1920's Griswold I inherited from my great grandmother is not in jeopardy. (I also just acquired a 1930's/40's 11 3/4 Griswold that is way too heavy for her to lift haha)

My in-laws would probably use that paring knife on the left for everything anyway. At least for cooking.
I might worry that they would use one of the larger knives if a door got stuck or something like that.
While visiting her house, I have personally watched her open a can with her Cutco chefs knife, then proceed to move on to dicing an onion while snarkily saying to me "See, still sharp!"

I put all my 240s on the main rack when the in-laws come over. They're intimidated by the size and don't want to touch them...it's the 165-180 range that I have to keep an eye on since people feel more comfortable grabbing those.

So so true! Let my MIL make me lunch once, can back to my petty in the sink: tipped, twisted and chipped. I have no idea what or how she did it. As a result I’ve now put blue tape round the handles of knives guests can use and be sure to to let them know.

I was visiting my parents who live with my sister recently. Grabbed a bread knife and noticed it wasn’t biting into the crust. Closer examination showed that the serrations were almost completely ground down so it basically looked like a janky suji. Probably from repeated sharpening on some kind of machine.

Looked around and found another bread knife, same thing. Turns out they have 4 bread knives. Yup, all the same.

Those are some hard-working bread knives.

3rd from right is a vintage 1940's "LL Bean" Dexter.

Nakiri is Hitohira - Kikuchiyo x Yohei - Ginsan - Kasumi - 180mm. MIL would't know what to do with a knife shaped like that so I'm not as worried about her grabbing that one lol.
Really cool knives, both of them. Also didn´t see that Herder? parer on the far left.
Not cheap but those handles look really comfortable!

I also know a few people who would either grab a paring knife/petty and/or a bread knife or other serrated knife for cooking, rather than a proper sized knife.
In my knife block one can only see the knife´s handle and funnily people are often intimidated (or similar) by wa-handles as it seems and they just look at the yo-handled knives before choosing.

Really cool knives, both of them. Also didn´t see that Herder? parer on the far left.
Not cheap but those handles look really comfortable!

I also know a few people who would either grab a paring knife/petty and/or a bread knife or other serrated knife for cooking, rather than a proper sized knife.
In my knife block one can only see the knife´s handle and funnily people are often intimidated (or similar) by wa-handles as it seems and they just look at the yo-handled knives before choosing.

My wife refuses to touch anything bigger than 180mm. Just yesterday she cut an entire watermelon with a 135mm petty.

My wife refuses to touch anything bigger than 180mm. Just yesterday she cut an entire watermelon with a 135mm petty.
My girlfriend uses a 180mm gyuto, one of my eldest and cheapest knives. We both like that one very much.
The watermelon she cut today was cut in eighths with a bread knife, then she used a parer.
(I use a 210mm suji; works nice for cutting out the "flesh" from the peel. For a watermelon it could be a little longer though)

Back