Indian Curry Recipes (from scratch)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madelinez

Catcheside Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm starting to get tired of my weekly Sunday curry (which always feeds me for 3 days). I'd love some inspiration to try alternative Indian curries made using different methods, typically I use chicken/beef/lamb but vegetarian never hurts.

If anyone has any recipes they're particularly proud of, please post them here. I don't mind recipes with a lot of prep involved, it's normally an all day affair for me. On the other hand, simple never hurts.

i dont know Indian Cooking all that well, but i am getting better.

i have been watching that "cooking with Chetna" lady on youtube. she really dumbs it down for me.

Okay, here's one. I'm not deep into Indian cooking, but this is one I enjoy making on occasion. It's not as complicated as some curries, and this works for seafood as well as chicken:

Chicken Pistachio Korma

Adapted from "The Great Curries of India" by Camellia Panjabi

INGREDIENTS

2 1/4 lb chicken breasts or thighs. *Note sous vide option at the end of recipe
8 oz shelled pistachio nuts, unsalted. Note salted is okay it will be removed in the boiling.
8 Serrano green chilies
5 tbsp single cream (more if needed)
3 tbsp plain yogurt (more if needed)
1 medium onion chopped
1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and chopped
6 garlic cloves
1 and 1/2 teaspoons garam masala powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground white pepper
2 tsp fennel seeds
1 medium tomato, chopped
2 tsp cardamom powder
4 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves

DIRECTIONS

Cut the chicken into pieces as desired

Boil the pistachios for 10 minutes in one cup of water. Remove from the heat, drain and leave to cool. Rub the nuts with your fingers to remove the scrap the skin. (Note: not required with the shelled pistachios I used).

Grind the pistachios with four of the green chilies and reduce to a paste in a food processor or spice grinder. Remove and set aside.

Grind the fennel seeds with a food processor or spice grinder. Remove and set aside.

Fry the onions in the oil until lightly colored. Add the ginger, garlic, garam masala and turmeric powders, white pepper and fennel seeds and fry for 2 minutes. Add the pistachio mixture and fry for 2 minutes.

Add the chicken and saute for 5 minutes. Then add the tomato, yogurt, remaining chilies and salt to taste. Cook until done, about 15 to 20 minutes depending on the size of the chicken pieces. Add more yogurt or cream if needed to adjust the texture.

* Note: I cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts sous vide until done, then sliced and added them just long enough to heat up in the sauce. This lets you adjust the sauce and chicken separately.

I know you didn't ask for a book suggestion but have to say that "660 Curries" would be worth a go...try any of a few and you'll get a pretty good foundation. I took one of his classes years ago in Chapel Hill and found the author (Rahgavan Iyer) to be a fascinating individual and very good teacher of concepts.

Last edited:
Back