Interesting Kitchen Knife site....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure that's the appropriate comparison. To me, it's more like "Would I buy a Chinese knife for $200 that is almost as good as a Japanese one for $500?"

Trust me, the vast majority of people will vote with their wallet.

Nearly all of my kitchen knives bought in the last six years are made in Japan—except for the Tsourkan and CCK. That said, personally I don't have an issue against buying a Japanese style knife that's made in China, Indonesia, Australia, so long as the quality is there. It's my belief that Chinese craftsmanship and manufacturing techniques are getting better all the time, and offer a good bang-for-buck alternative for value conscious cooks. I love my hand-forged J-knives, but they are luxuries that many cooks simply can't afford.

If I buy a Japanese knife, I insist it is being made in Japan from made in japan steel. German knives i buy only made in Germany. Chinese Cai dao (cook's knives) I did buy in China directly, but from a company making them 120 years. That is just my choice. And my money.

Chinese could make a top product if they wanted. It is a question of mentality and their current situation. Look at Fenix flashlights, for example.

But: Once we ordered a set of sewing thread in like 50 colors from China. Should a need for a particular shade arise, better to have bad thread than none in such colour. It was supposed to be standard spool with standard 200 meters. Well, we did got the colours, but they were spooled with 200 FEET and not 200 meters of thread! Yes, I measured. That is an intentional and deliberate fraud. 60 meters is not the same as 200 meters.

That is not to say anything good about western or american "products" made in China. Years ago I broke my tiny Classic swiss knife cutting cardboard and decided I need bigger. Prices of 100 to 200€ for a pocket knife for some unimportant cutting did not appeal to me. At the time, local gas company was ofering "American company" pocket knives for about 15-20€ Buy gas, and you get discount price. I sharpened it at 20 dps as it would not cut well. Tried to cut some dry bacon. After some 10 slices, edge was gone. After 15 slices, knfe was in a trash bin. American knife was Made in China.

Not to mention: I have had in my hands kitchen knives made from 18/10 steel! Clearly marked on the blade! No need to try cutting with them. Guess the country of origin?

Unfortunatelly, there are too many more examplex like these.

If I buy a Japanese knife, I insist it is being made in Japan from made in japan steel. German knives i buy only made in Germany. Chinese Cai dao (cook's knives) I did buy in China directly, but from a company making them 120 years. That is just my choice. And my money.

Chinese could make a top product if they wanted. It is a question of mentality and their current situation. Look at Fenix flashlights, for example.

But: Once we ordered a set of sewing thread in like 50 colors from China. Should a need for a particular shade arise, better to have bad thread than none in such colour. It was supposed to be standard spool with standard 200 meters. Well, we did got the colours, but they were spooled with 200 FEET and not 200 meters of thread! Yes, I measured. That is an intentional and deliberate fraud. 60 meters is not the same as 200 meters.

That is not to say anything good about western or american "products" made in China. Years ago I broke my tiny Classic swiss knife cutting cardboard and decided I need bigger. Prices of 100 to 200€ for a pocket knife for some unimportant cutting did not appeal to me. At the time, local gas company was ofering "American company" pocket knives for about 15-20€ Buy gas, and you get discount price. I sharpened it at 20 dps as it would not cut well. Tried to cut some dry bacon. After some 10 slices, edge was gone. After 15 slices, knfe was in a trash bin. American knife was Made in China.

Not to mention: I have had in my hands kitchen knives made from 18/10 steel! Clearly marked on the blade! No need to try cutting with them. Guess the country of origin?

Unfortunatelly, there are too many more examplex like these.
Why are you going through necro-ing all these old posts?

Wow, this post went 3 years without a response. Well anyways, the Chinese can make very good product, you just have to pay them for it, not nickle'n dime them to distraction like most companies looking to buy ridiculous cheap do. They may not have the blacksmiths yet, but machine/robot/stock removal-made knives they can do just about as well as anyone, and do it for significantly less than anyone.

Back