Interesting to see the kitchen of a modern young japanese person

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dxtreme

Reaction score
WARNING: You will not be able to look away.

Can you guys spot all the knives in this video ? I see some Bob Kramer Damascus on the wall and seems like western handle knives prevail. I also like their rice measuring cup , looks like its made of traditional cyprus ?

The rice measuring cup is called a Masu, sometimes they serve sake in it as well, it measures 1 "go" of rice which is aprox 180ml, and usually made of hinoki

I think the japanese love yo handles as much as westerners like us love wa handles.

Can someone ID the knife he was using with the yo handle and Damascus ? Cant stop looking at those cute cats.

The title kills me "A Japanese take on american sushi"

I love Junskitchen ... been following this guy since I saw a vid of him with his Maine Coons ... I have Maine Coons and they crack me up / one really is my little sous chef as she is always in the kitchen and insists on smelling everything ...

The guy is skilled (imo) and super fun to watch. He did a cooking birthday for his cats that is really quintessential ...

Thanks for sharing - reminded me to check his site out more often!

This dude is a you-tube star, not representative of normal life...

Yeah, I like these videos but this is not your "average" Japanese young person.

I have an American-raised stepdaughter who has lived in Osaka for something like 20 years now. She's fluent in Japanese and has mostly (if not entirely) Japanese friends. Her kitchen and those of her friends are not that different from what you see in Western kitchens, except that the kitchen is the size of a closet. Western-style knives, and dull because nobody knows how to sharpen them. It's only the elite foodies who get into the kinds of things you see on this video channel.

P.S. My step-daughter mostly whines about how hard it is in Japan to get meat that isn't full of fat, or get something like a whole chicken. On the other hand -- and completely unlike when she was a child and would only eat McDonald's burgers -- she will now eat absolutely anything. Including things my wife finds disgusting and inedible when she visits.

Does your bench top look like this while sharpening? Mine sure as hell does not…
Screen Shot 2019-04-15 at 09.21.30.png
Those videos are fun to watch, and he is very skilful. But they are also completely artificial. Real cooking does not look like that; the videos portrait a fantasy world with only the most tenuous connection with reality.

I think the fella lives in the country and not in any of the major metro cities in Japan. There are some videos of him going to the garden to pick fresh produce and fruits it seems. Regardless, I will study his cooking and steal some cooking kung fu from his channel :)

Does your bench top look like this while sharpening? Mine sure as hell does not…
View attachment 51776
Those videos are fun to watch, and he is very skilful. But they are also completely artificial. Real cooking does not look like that; the videos portrait a fantasy world with only the most tenuous connection with reality.
Mine looks like that. I'm not sure how else it should look...

Mine looks like that. I'm not sure how else it should look...
Not spotless with no water drops, despite all the slurry on the stone?

If you look at the sides of the stone, they were carefully wiped clean before taking the shot.

Like I said, this shows a fantasy. Fun to watch, but not real.

Not spotless with no water drops, despite all the slurry on the stone?

If you look at the sides of the stone, they were carefully wiped clean before taking the shot.

Like I said, this shows a fantasy. Fun to watch, but not real.
There's a drop of water on the support. Clearly not perfection in Jun's kitchen

I think the fella lives in the country and not in any of the major metro cities in Japan. There are some videos of him going to the garden to pick fresh produce and fruits it seems. Regardless, I will study his cooking and steal some cooking kung fu from his channel :)
Jun and his American wife and 3 cats live in Fukuoka City

I really liked the trick with the Mayo (this is a common Aussie cotraction of Mayonnaise) in the plastic bag. I gave it a burl with some tomato sauce today- it worked a treat.

I really liked the trick with the Mayo (this is a common Aussie cotraction of Mayonnaise) in the plastic bag. I gave it a burl with some tomato sauce today- it worked a treat.
Centripetal force has yet to find its rightful place in modern cuisine ;)

Just using the word "Kung Fu" as a figure of speech in the context of "his exceptional cooking skills" :)

Latest posts

Back