Introducing myself to the forum

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatWithAHat

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm from northern Europe. I've been fascinated with sharp knives for a while as I always loved to cook. I'm a home cook and usually that kind of friend that comes to make dinner at your house to show recipes I discovered, make all Christmas dishes at my moms place, make eye pleasing things for friends birthdays. Cooking is my hobby and I really enjoy it. Lately I developed more detailed interest in japanese knives. I have owned japanese factory made knives from Satake and lower end Kai before, but I want to get into the authentic knife world and learn sharpening tips and eventually own a nice knife collection with all kinds of japanese knives I wish to use.

I bought my first japanese handmade knife - a Takeshi Saji rainbow damascus gyuto 240mm Blue steel #2 last week, waiting for it to arrive now. I got camellia oil and rust scrubber with it. Looking forward to learn tips to keep this knife in best condition for as long as I can and hopefully some help in future to fill my collection with slightly lower end knives than the Saji. That one got me by its authenticity and beauty. I wish to participate in the buyer section of this forum in future too.

Welcome!! I have an 4-5 year old, 210, rainbow Damascus gyuto from Saji that I really like! The finish is gorgeous! The first challenge you will likely face is that when sharpening it is easy to scrape and scratch the claddings Damascus pattern.

The knife can certainly be made to look nice again and it does take a keen edge. The convex blade makes it easy to hit the cladding when sharpening. Consider tape covering the lower cladding when you begin to learn to sharpen that knife.

Hope you enjoy KKF!

Back