Is this a cot, or is it not?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bert2368

Reaction score
Hellish frozen Northern wasteland, aka MN
Came in the mail today, "pre owned" off of eBay, measures 220 x 53 x 24 mm excluding the dished center section.

Wooden home made holder, well aged, smelled like old wood from the back of grandpa's shed. Dished out area in center of one side is from a LOT of sharpening, possibly grandpa's straight razors?

(Images now upload, thanks Angie!)).

20190603_155713.jpg

20190603_155755.jpg

20190603_155819.jpg

20190603_155856.jpg

20190603_155929.jpg

Last edited:
Looks promising. I'm thinking that if it were lapped a little it would show the difference between the pristine stone, at both high spots at the ends, and the worn part; could help, and can't hardly hurt.

I still had a few failures trying to post the above pictures, finally got them all to upload.

Looks a good bit lighter/closer to yellow now. Used 80 grit sandpaper on a sheet of float plate glass, wore that sheet OUT doing all sides, this is a pretty hard rock. After the first dark layer was ground away, the mud is kind of a milky, very light beige.

Sharpened a Henckels parer and a Tojiro white #2 nakiri.

The progression was slurry with a 400 Atoma, about 20 back and forth strokes per side, with firm pressure then wipe off 3/4 of the mud, add more water.

About 10 more back & forth strokes per side at medium pressure, followed by a couple alternated edge leading... Was quite sharp yet toothily aggressive at this point.

Wiped off ALL of the mud, added a splash of water. 10 more edge leading strokes with light pressure.

Didn't even bother stropping. This bugger got them SHARP.

I understand why you like these now. Glad I picked this one up for about $70, well worth it.

It's a Washita stone, Pike-Norton would have labeled that one as a Rosy Red Washita. They work fine with water or a light oil.

I have several Washita stones. They neither look like nor behave like this stone.
I ordered a couple of small pieces of coticule from Belgium to use as "slurry stones", they appear to be rather more similar in color to the big old stone, been too busy to try them out yet.
20190626_105801.jpg

Latest posts

Back