Is this normal to see on a new knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tae Park

Reaction score
This is my first Japanese knife I've bought and I just opened it up. It has these tiny holes in the body of the blade. I'm just too new to Japanese knives to know if this is acceptable. Is this normal or should I return it? Specific details this is the Ryusen Blazen Nakiri. I also got in a Ryusen Blazen Gyuto from a different store and that one does not have these tiny holes all over it. Thank you :)

image1.jpeg
image0.jpeg

It's iron oxide or forge scale that got pounded into the blade during the forging process. Doesn't affect performance but not desirable necessarily, by the maker or users. Takes time to remove scale, so maybe that process got skipped or forgotten this time. But it shows it was handmade and forged. The marks only go as far as you see, so they shouldn't heit the cutting edge and cause chips. It's a minor form of tsuchime or kurouchi. If you don't like it, it's probably ok to return it

Is it on both sides? Personally, I don’t think it’s something I’d want on my knife, but I doubt it’s a big problem. I guess you bought it online, did the picture of the model show that in the finish?

I had to edit this to add that Ryusen is known for fit and finish and are priced accordingly, so I wouldn’t be happy with the knife.

Last edited:
This is my first Japanese knife I've bought and I just opened it up. It has these tiny holes in the body of the blade. I'm just too new to Japanese knives to know if this is acceptable. Is this normal or should I return it? Specific details this is the Ryusen Blazen Nakiri. I also got in a Ryusen Blazen Gyuto from a different store and that one does not have these tiny holes all over it. Thank you :)

View attachment 323168View attachment 323169
Newp. Return that.

Thanks everyone for your input. I did reach out to the ryusen hamono directly and they said the knife is a standard product that passed their quality control. They said it was proof it was handmade and is not a defect. I'm gonna see if I can still get a replacement for it since it doesn't match with the finish of the other blazen series I got in.

Looks like metal worm. I wouldn't accept that. Its ugly especially along the blade road.

They're missing a marketing opportunity. Just call it "salt-on-ice" finish and bump the price a few hundred...

Not uncommon to see that in small areas of a knife, but I've never seen anything so extensive/deep.
I'd return it. I think this falls outside of the "ahh, it's handmade" caveat.

Got a happy ending to report. Was able to get a replacement nakiri. It's perfect. Thanks again everyone for your help :)

Attachments

• 79d3cf4b-15f6-4889-ac09-5129a87f457d.jpg
    79d3cf4b-15f6-4889-ac09-5129a87f457d.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 998b0899-a72f-4f7b-884e-35dc70a5a2ee.jpg
    998b0899-a72f-4f7b-884e-35dc70a5a2ee.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 0
Back