J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fresh off the mailman from my wife for Valentine is an Uchigumori Hazuya Aka Renge
IMG_0124.jpgIMG_0131.jpg

Entirely cribbed from Japanstone but:

"Renge is only found in suita stones (not in tomae) and it can be the typical red or even black with purple in-between. Renge is a concentration of ancient radiolarian that were present at the time the stones were formed.
Nashiji (pear skin) or fine light brown (or white on darker stones) is found only in tomae stones.
Yaki is a concentration of alternate minerals and can be found in both suita and tomae stones. It is normally considered a detractor, the darker the

Entirely cribbed from Japanstone but:

"Renge is only found in suita stones (not in tomae) and it can be the typical red or even black with purple in-between. Renge is a concentration of ancient radiolarian that were present at the time the stones were formed.
Nashiji (pear skin) or fine light brown (or white on darker stones) is found only in tomae stones.
Yaki is a concentration of alternate minerals and can be found in both suita and tomae stones. It is normally considered a detractor, the darker the

I don't know what I'm talking about here, I just copy pasted from Shinichi. Thx for the info.

EDIT: BTW, the freckles all over the stone are reddish and the stone looks a bit like a light purple.

I don't know what I'm talking about here, I just copy pasted from Shinichi. Thx for the info.

EDIT: BTW, the freckles all over the stone are reddish and the stone looks a bit like a light purple.

I think Otto's post may have been addressing my question from the post right before yours.

And very nice stone you got there :).

Cheers,
Blair

I think Otto's post may have been addressing my question from the post right before yours.

And very nice stone you got there :).

Cheers,
Blair
Thx, I couldn't make sense of it and was wrecking my brains cuz the stone looks purplish and the dots reddish. :scratchhead:

Holy Moly!
That thing is super hyper clean without any lines!
Your wife should give us all tips where to get awesome jants!! a "valgard's knife Jnat advice corner" ;))

The stone looks like a typical Uchigumori.. i also had one with exactly these colors.. mine was just too hard for my taste.

Is that stone really hard or a softer one?

@Krassi thx. perhaps it doesn't show in my pics but there is a line that can be felt about 2" from the top. I have not tried the stone yet but it was listed HS52 if that tells you something.

Hiho!

@valgard
Ahh now i can see it too.. hope this gets lesser if you diamondplate it.

I got an Uchigumori with some lines that are still harmless. Its a softer Type with Ohira Stamp (245x85x27mm).. Dondt know if i posted it before so sorry if its a repost ;)

28439109tt.jpg

HS52 seems hard.. actually like the stone i had that looked the same from the color.

@inzite
WOW! All 3 look super clean and awesome! great catch!!

seeya, daniel

@inzite
WOW! All 3 look super clean and awesome! great catch!!

tested the shobudani tomae and the okudo suita, my sharpest edges so far! the tomae is a great kasumi polisher as well. Okudo is pretty hard and for non wide bevel sharpening it doesn't kick up much.

Hi All,

Here is my latest arrival...it is a Shobudani stone with a lot of renge. The vendor - an excellent US shop - said the stones were sold to him from a large stock of Shobudani stones from a reliable supplier, but he did not really have much more info than that.

If anyone has any thoughts or info on this stone I'd be happy to hear. The stone seems more like a tomae strata than a suita based on color, except it seems a bit unusual to have all the renge in a tomae stone...?

The stone has excellent dimensions: 175mm x 93mm x 25mm and weighs 1kg.

Have not put a knife across it yet, as I want to put a couple coats of cashew lacquer on first!

Here is a dry pic and a wet pic:

[emoji112]🏻[emoji112]🏻[emoji112]🏻
It looks pretty much similar to my old stock Shobudani Iromono.
It is Tomae layer, not Suita
It feels like ~5,5k stone, over Aoto but under fine finishers. Can be considered as a finisher as well.
Not muddy, but soft enough
It should leave hazy finish, not a mirror, but a pretty nice one.
Tell then if it's similar to description.
Looks nice.
Cheers

(BTW, I am going to cashew lacquer the Numata you sold me a few months back at the same time I do this Aiiwatani...still have not used the Numata as I've been waiting for some nicer weather so I could do the lacquer job on my outdoor deck.)

I think you could take the risk of a little usage while you wait for it to warm up. These aren't layered so there's less risk. I mean, by all means, seal it when it's warmer but have a little sharpen on it!

I think you could take the risk of a little usage while you wait for it to warm up. These aren't layered so there's less risk. I mean, by all means, seal it when it's warmer but have a little sharpen on it!

Hi Otto, might just do that this weekend!

Cheers,
Blair

I know enough about Brooksie that if he says it's the nicest stone he's ever used, it'd be the best of the best. That is just amazing man

I know enough about Brooksie that if he says it's the nicest stone he's ever used, it'd be the best of the best. That is just amazing man

You're making me blush Otto lol. Honestly this puts everything I've touched to shame. When I visited Takeshi Aoki in Mililani on Oahu he let me test everything and all his personal stones too. This, without a doubt, is nicer than anything he had at the time.

Btw, if anyone is looking at aframestokyo for stones I think he's the best judge of hardness/fineness outside of Japan. His ratings are bang on.

You're making me blush Otto lol. Honestly this puts everything I've touched to shame. When I visited Takeshi Aoki in Mililani on Oahu he let me test everything and all his personal stones too. This, without a doubt, is nicer than anything he had at the time.

Btw, if anyone is looking at aframestokyo for stones I think he's the best judge of hardness/fineness outside of Japan. His ratings are bang on.

Beautiful stone Brooksie. If Renge was a rash that stone would be on life support. Congratulations.
Takeshi does have his unique method of judging stones. Did he indicate the hardness/fineness of your stone?

Another beauty Otto. Your killing me. This thread should be renamed, "I WANT ONE of THOSE"

Haven't given it the proper workout yet but I can tell you it's shiki uchigumori with namazu patterning from Maruoyama. Rather confusingly, it is not from the top tenjo layer where sword-grade uchigumori is from. It's from several strata below and is below shiro suita. Watanabe describes them as having a brother-sister relationship but shiki uchigumori will leave a foggier jigane. I plan to get my hands on a kuro Renge stone from Maruoyama and compare the shiro suita v kiiro Suita v kuro Renge v shiki uchigumori

Latest posts

Back