J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got two shiki uchigumori Maruoyama, one from Watanabe and one from elsewhere. Both are quick to slurry and produce nice cloudy contrast. I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on how yours compares to the uchimugori from Ohira. At any rate, I'll think you will be pleased with yours Otto. I also have no small amount of envy for your growing Maruoyama suita collection.

How often does one feel the lines in a suita? My only jnat experience is with a takashima from JNS, which has no lines at all.

Suitas seem to often have them, just the nature of the layer of rock I suppose. I've been curious :)

How often does one feel the lines in a suita? My only jnat experience is with a takashima from JNS, which has no lines at all.

Suitas seem to often have them, just the nature of the layer of rock I suppose. I've been curious :)

im no expert in jnat but thats why one should buy from a good seller who would disclose if any of the lines can be felt, else its pretty much lottery. Took a gamble on this one and it paid off well haha.

Nice! It's a great looking stone, sounds like you scored.

Yeah, I think you're right on with the trusted seller thing. I'm not in the market at the moment, but it has been something I've been wondering for a while since I started paying more attention to jnats.

nothing compared to that crazy renge in the past page or two but this one came in. Was listed as Ohira Renge Suita. Can't feel the lines at all.
Looks like a great stone. Mine has very similar layering.

Looks like a great stone. Mine has very similar layering.

thanks my friend! share it on your instagram! if only i had your skills.

Took my kato for a quick session on this one and it felt good and edge was good as well. Much easier to use something this size than my other smaller stones but they are good for practicing though.

Nice! It's a great looking stone, sounds like you scored.

Yeah, I think you're right on with the trusted seller thing. I'm not in the market at the moment, but it has been something I've been wondering for a while since I started paying more attention to jnats.

yeah totally gambled on this one as seller didnt disclose anything specific to the lines hehe.

I've got two shiki uchigumori Maruoyama, one from Watanabe and one from elsewhere. Both are quick to slurry and produce nice cloudy contrast. I'd be interested to hear any thoughts on how yours compares to the uchimugori from Ohira. At any rate, I'll think you will be pleased with yours Otto. I also have no small amount of envy for your growing Maruoyama suita collection.

Agree 100% with your assessment and I find it has overlap with maruoyama shiro suita too in terms of the edge it leaves. It's a best of both worlds stone. Very chuffed with it.

Ok, did anyone else pick up one of these?

YAGINOSHIMA ASAGI LV 2-4

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/yaginoshima-asagi-lv-2-4-a1209/

I managed to snag one because I was intrigued by a stone that could go from lv 2 to lv4.

Did anyone else here get one? It is, as Maksim states, a very hard stone. I worked with it for a bit and despite my best efforts couldn't get it to act like anything but a lv 4 for more polishing than sharpening. I tried a combination of nagura's to work up different types of mud and even focused on managing how much water I was throwing into the mix.

I have no regrets on getting it, esp at that price, I just want to learn to use it to it's full potential.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 35046

Ok, did anyone else pick up one of these?

YAGINOSHIMA ASAGI LV 2-4

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/yaginoshima-asagi-lv-2-4-a1209/

I managed to snag one because I was intrigued by a stone that could go from lv 2 to lv4.

Did anyone else here get one? It is, as Maksim states, a very hard stone. I worked with it for a bit and despite my best efforts couldn't get it to act like anything but a lv 4 for more polishing than sharpening. I tried a combination of nagura's to work up different types of mud and even focused on managing how much water I was throwing into the mix.

I have no regrets on getting it, esp at that price, I just want to learn to use it to it's full potential.

Any thoughts?

View attachment 35046

Hi hi
First of all- check it on different steels.
My experience says- Yaginoshima tends to be great on stainless and dead on carbons.
Not bad on powder steel as well.
Please tell if you have checked it on several steels, i mean several stainless ( different hardness).
It's funny, but especially this mine gives stones being highly specialized on some tasks.
Cheers
Andrey

Back