J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think I'll ever forget this stamp. So pretty.

Attachments

• 20200606_204255.jpg
    20200606_204255.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 55
Congrats on nabbing this one as well 😆

Just out of curiosity, were the cracks on it severe, or just cosmetic? I'd like to get an understanding of this seller's descriptions.

Just out of curiosity, were the cracks on it severe, or just cosmetic? I'd like to get an understanding of this seller's descriptions.
Haven't got it in yet, but the other two I got from this seller were better than described. I've read all the descriptions for most of their offerings and they appear to be pretty honest and straight forward.

I can't believe it came from Japan in two days, but I have it. I don't know where the crack in the description is, its in that great of shape. Beautiful stone.

BTW, DHL was the carrier.

Thanks for the update! Glad it was better than expected.

With them you have a choice of FedEx, DHL or Japan Post. They told me they've been using FedEx or DHL for packages above 2kg, as it's cheaper that way.

51191BA9-DA48-409D-AE24-B85641034DFB.jpeg

Finally have enough natural stones to be considered a "collection." I played around with them today, alternating scratch patterns at different angles to keep track. All are in the medium range:

- Tamba Aoto purchased from MetalMaster in 2013
- Ikarashi purchased from JNS in 2016 (yes, I'm lazy and should flatten it more thoroughly)
- Vintage Numata of unknown origin picked up on BST last month

Considering how hard and un-muddy the Aoto is, I was a little surprised to notice I had to go down to a GS500 to remove all of its scratches. At the same time it gives the shiniest polish, and seems like it has the widest grit range.

The Ikarashi was about what you'd expect from the forum chatter. Scratches were removed by a King Neo 800, the highest grit synthetic I have at the moment. Pretty middle of the road, maybe I'm just not a fan of how weird-feeling and chalky it is.

The Numata is the finest of the bunch, supposedly a vintage stone from a finer vein than modern Numatas. @childermass estimated it as high as 3k which seems about right, and scratches were removed by the other naturals. Polish is hazier than the Aoto, and much more uniform than both other stones. Seems like it has the tightest range of grit, and produced the best looking kasumi following the King Neo.

I like these mediums because they give a nice useable edge. They're all on the harder side, which seems to be my preference. Lord help me if I get the urge for a finishing stone, the medium range is enough of a rabbit hole for my taste (do I need an Aizu next?)

i think my numata is my favorite midgrit, its a goodpolisher as well as giving the nastiest edge of any of my midgrits. id estimate mine at 2-3k as well, like a harder version of my aoto
They don't all come like that one. Numata has a half dozen sources. I kinda miss yours so I got a bunch more lol

i think my numata is my favorite midgrit, its a goodpolisher as well as giving the nastiest edge of any of my midgrits. id estimate mine at 2-3k as well, like a harder version of my aoto
They don't all come like that one. Numata has a half dozen sources. I kinda miss yours so I got a bunch more lol
Mine and the one from naader could win a look alike contest so no surprise they act so similar.

Watanabe has one that might be similar (page 8, number 7) but hard to tell because it hasn't been lapped. The roughly cleaved divots look exactly like those on the back of my stone.

Watanabe has one that might be similar (page 8, number 7) but hard to tell because it hasn't been lapped. The roughly cleaved divots look exactly like those on the back of my stone.
He is also asking about 260 usd lmfao. Crazy high for a stone in that condition.

What can I say.. love me some morihei aizu

Attachments

• 355575A9-0ED3-48D0-A9C1-7A67DE294303.jpeg
    355575A9-0ED3-48D0-A9C1-7A67DE294303.jpeg
    108.4 KB · Views: 37
  • CF5B0C98-EFB7-471D-914E-51F02FC84BAB.jpeg
    CF5B0C98-EFB7-471D-914E-51F02FC84BAB.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 35
I attached my asagi to this base I made. I'm no woodworker so it could be better. Im happy with it though.

One thing that sucks is that slanted part wasn't there before. Like an idiot, I attached the base with epoxy, then afterwards I decided you know what I could fix that side of the base with my belt sander a bit more. Next thing I know a chunk of my stone gets broken off, and I just smoothed it over. Its decent sized so maybe it will work for some kind of fingerstones or something. Dunno

Attachments

• 1604247550514798823301498389002.jpg
    1604247550514798823301498389002.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 24
  • 16042475991462356917186126929564.jpg
    16042475991462356917186126929564.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 25
View attachment 97352
Finally have enough natural stones to be considered a "collection." I played around with them today, alternating scratch patterns at different angles to keep track. All are in the medium range:

- Tamba Aoto purchased from MetalMaster in 2013
- Ikarashi purchased from JNS in 2016 (yes, I'm lazy and should flatten it more thoroughly)
- Vintage Numata of unknown origin picked up on BST last month

Considering how hard and un-muddy the Aoto is, I was a little surprised to notice I had to go down to a GS500 to remove all of its scratches. At the same time it gives the shiniest polish, and seems like it has the widest grit range.

The Ikarashi was about what you'd expect from the forum chatter. Scratches were removed by a King Neo 800, the highest grit synthetic I have at the moment. Pretty middle of the road, maybe I'm just not a fan of how weird-feeling and chalky it is.

The Numata is the finest of the bunch, supposedly a vintage stone from a finer vein than modern Numatas. @childermass
I like these mediums because they give a nice useable edge. They're all on the harder side, which seems to be my preference. Lord help me if I get the urge for a finishing stone, the medium range is enough of a rabbit hole for my taste (do I need an Aizu next?)

I find from the one finisher I have that the edge is actually really good for the kitchen. Its polished, of course, but it has the bite you would expect from a midrange synthetic.

Back