J-Nat Club

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohira renge suita
Screenshot_20201103-121115_Etsy.jpg
Screenshot_20201103-121109_Etsy.jpg
Screenshot_20201103-121123_Etsy.jpg

Hi fellow J-Nat-Lovers

I would like to know if any of you have experience with different hardness Ohira Renge Suita? I would like to get one as a finisher for my guytos (white 1 and 2, blue 1 and 2, ...), does not necessarely need to be a from Ohira, but they are recommended a lot. I was looking at Aframes, Watanabe, Japanavenue, JNS, ... they are often very different in hardness but mostly are described as good finishers for kitchen knives. So does it make a big difference it the stone is middle hardness or more on the harder side? How does this affect sharpening? Feeling, burr refining, etc. ? I want a fast stone that gives me slurry instantly. What else could you recommend if not an Ohira Renge Suita? Also heard good things about Maruoyama - how do the different suitas compare to each other? I search for a fast stone that gives me a very crisp, aggressive edge with lots of BITE! Any recommendations?

Hi fellow J-Nat-Lovers

I would like to know if any of you have experience with different hardness Ohira Renge Suita? I would like to get one as a finisher for my guytos (white 1 and 2, blue 1 and 2, ...), does not necessarely need to be a from Ohira, but they are recommended a lot. I was looking at Aframes, Watanabe, Japanavenue, JNS, ... they are often very different in hardness but mostly are described as good finishers for kitchen knives. So does it make a big difference it the stone is middle hardness or more on the harder side? How does this affect sharpening? Feeling, burr refining, etc. ? I want a fast stone that gives me slurry instantly. What else could you recommend if not an Ohira Renge Suita? Also heard good things about Maruoyama - how do the different suitas compare to each other? I search for a fast stone that gives me a very crisp, aggressive edge with lots of BITE! Any recommendations?
Doesn't have to be an ohira suite renge, but I'm not one to ask cause I have 6. They are pricy and lately have been very pricy...see JNS for what I mean. Anyways, generally speaking the softer for lesser grit, and hard for polishing, although and suita probably fits polishing grit for anything. Ohiras are usually recommended for knives. What are you going to get?

enough knives around, mostly in shirogami2, 1, aogami 1 and 2, some SG steel, and Ginsan. But I would like a stone that gives me good bite but does not take off too much steel when sharpening. I don´t want to go through the 1000 / 5000 routine every time. Touching up with the Naniwa 5000 or Traditional 2000 does not seem to work that well, I only get back little bite that does not last long. So I thought maybe a Ohira could be a solution to that problem. Stone should be suitable for touch ups and give me bite while leaving a somewhat refined edge.

Last edited:
@AFKitchenknivesguy Jesus man you've single-handedly purchased all of ikkyujapanavenue's stock (I think, all the stones seem to look familiar now) 😂 Well done
Yeah, karasu's are a love of mine and love their prices. Bought some JNS karasu's but they are pretty expensive in comparison.

Here's my family photo, from coarsest to fines L to R. Tanba aoto, mystery suita, renge uchigumori, asagi.
20201129_101123.jpg

Here's my aoto, it's got some toxic lines, but hey, I still like it.
20201129_102359.jpg

Then the mystery suita. If anyone has any idea what it actually is by looking at it, please let me know. It has a very smooth finish, with lots of contrast. It's quite fast too. All around good stone except for its size and weird shape.
20201129_101853.jpg

Next is my tiny renge uchigumori. Such a beautiful little stone. It also gives a great finish.
20201129_101920.jpg

Finally the asagi. This is a razor stone really. I'm able to use it for knives, but its definitely not what people would call a beginner friendly stone. Very hard, and very fine. I love it though.
20201129_102109.jpg

Mystery stone look like some maruoyama aisa I’ve seen 🤷. Really nice chunk of uchi as well.
I looked up maruoyama, and I definitely see the stone you are talking about. I think the person called it a maruoyama aisa koppa, it looks just like my stone, except mine is super thin, and that one is thick.

I haven't about maruoyama before, and aisa stones I only have a recollection of seeing once or twice. I have no idea what the characteristics of either would be generally. I can say the stone I have, acts very similar to my uchigumori, except it is way faster at removing metal.

I also see some stuff labeled shiro suita that have a passing resemblance to this stone. Which is odd, because shiro means white to my understanding, so shouldn't it be a kuro suita or something?

A while ago I proclaimed I was done with jnats and I meant it. But there was one stone I never got around to trying and that's a black Tsushima nagura. I know a few temple carpenters in Japan who think highly of these stones and their recommendation was enough for me to pull the trigger. I'm glad I did because I absolutely love this stone. What really struck me at first is how incredibly clean and pure this stone is. It looks like a synthetic.

20201206_104858.jpg
20201206_104914.jpg

Ive tried to build myself a decent enough set to get started with some polishing:

IMG_5991 (2).jpg

Natsuya to start

Aizu next up, Ive not done an edge with this yet but have used it for a polish it seemed to do the job for that. I know these are really well regarded but I just haven't had a need to use it yet. Next time I really need to sharpen I'll just leave the edge as it comes off this one and see where it gets me.

Shobuodani x2 I dont know much about. the one on the left was listed as "level 2,5" by Maxim and I grabbed it during the BFCM stuff along with the Natsuya. Seems to be midish? Lots of little flecks in it and it pushed me over the free shipping limit so I rolled the dice on it. the next one is a stone I bought off BST like 5 years ago for less than 100 bucks. I know even less about it, other than it was listed as being a little harder and finer than most shobus, and it's definitely a little harder and finer than the other one. I've gotten some good edges off it and some dogshit ones too I dont really know. If you do, or just want to speculate, Im all ears.

Maruoyama Ao Suita I've been using this as my final edge stone since I got it. Nice stone but not exactly inexpensive

Oouchi from JKI quite a fine stone. I used it on my Tsourkan AEBL and it got really sharp I dunno I dont have a lot of commentary past that. One of the cheaper stones here though so no regrets.

Sorry I dont have a ton to add I have recently acquired most of these as part of getting back into the hobby to try and more or less do away with my use of synthetics, so Ive done a few edges and have started cleaning up one knife's flats. Im also still open to suggestions re filling in blanks

I wish I could have a chance to put a knife to a stone like this. Or even a lot of the suita's I see here. There are just so many jnats that are so far beyond what I can afford that I will likely never get a chance to try anything like them, and it makes me a little sad.

Back