James Webb Telescope

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guess only one image so far but it is quite spectacular best images I found NASA site on Facebook. Also saw a Hubble picture of same area of sky difference is dramatic.

A lot of YouTube is politics & talk. More interested in images & what I'm looking at.
Think NASA site will be doing that.

It is up now... Checkout the gravitational lensing:

main_image_deep_field_smacs0723-5mb.jpg

[Image credit: NASA, ESA, CSA, and STScI, from @MarcelNL's link]

That is so cool thanks! So much gravitational lensing. I ordered astronomy coarse my first science from great coarses many more followed.

Covered lensing something about light from distant galaxies hitting a large gravity force like a cluster of large galaxies that bends & stretches light. That's an awesome mind bending shot

I count 12 stars from our milky way & beams from couple more at top edge of picture. Everything else no matter how dim are galaxies. Just a tiny part of the sky. As guy said today like a single grain of sand at arms
length.

The subject of the photo is galaxy cluster SMACS 0723. They report this as being 4.6 billion light years away. The exposure took 12.5 hours. Imagine what they will be able to produce with longer exposures! Unless they havent crunched the numbers on other objects in the SMACS 0723 Webb Deep Field, it is not as 'deep' as Hubble. But it does have remarkable fidelity.

The original Hubble Deep Field was composed of 342 images taken over 10 days (I am not sure what the effective exposure time was). The oldest/furthest objects Hubble has peered at are ~13 billion light years away - again... taking many days to accumulate.

It will be interesting to see how far back they can look with Webb. Given what we learned from Hubble, we know the sky is absolutely full of objects... it would be cool if they could find a dark spot in Hubble's images and see what Webb can retrieve. I dont know if Webb can observe the same patch of space as the original Hubble Deep Fields, but if it can, reimaging that space would be a nice historical loop.

I missed this first time around. You have to check out the Earth to scale at the Sun's 2 o'clock. You can expand image of sun at that point to see earth clearly. Gives you a sense of how small our rocky planet is compared to our thermonuclear gas giant. Life giver to the third rock from the Sun.

Unless they havent crunched the numbers on other objects in the SMACS 0723 Webb Deep Field, it is not as 'deep' as Hubble.

Incorrect! The press just needed more time to present the information. The small galaxies in the background are around 13 billion light-years away. Given the universe is estimated to be 13.7 billion years old... Webb is pretty much seeing back to when the first stars and galaxies light up. If you want to look at older signals than that, I believe you have to look at the microwave background - which Webb is not instrumented for...

More images coming:

What an amazing instrument.

The small galaxies in the background are around 13 billion light-years away. Given the universe is estimated to be 13.7 billion years old... Webb is pretty much seeing back to when the first stars and galaxies light up. If you want to look at older signals than that, I believe you have to look at the microwave background
The observable universe is said to have a radius of 46ish billion LY. Odd, given that light can't travel faster than the speed of light and, as you said, the universe is 13.8ish billion years old.

The discrepancy is caused by the expansion of the universe and has been exacerbated by the added expansion caused by dark energy.

Don Lincoln from Fermilab explains it pretty well (as he does many things):

Keep those images coming. The human brain is searching for certainty, where the Universe is infinite what is behind the observable space how can there be a finite end to space? The mind can't explain that it's a mystery.

The discrepancy is caused by the expansion of the universe and has been exacerbated by the added expansion caused by dark energy.

Hence the redshift!

I get the impression the Big Freeze is a leading contender as the ultimate fate of our universe? Wikipedia has collated the fate of the universe. It is beautifully depressing. In summary....

In about a billion years, the sun will become hot enough to evaporate our oceans. Runaway greenhouse will have killed off most complex life many millions of years before this event. By about 5 billion years, the Milky Way and Andromeda will collide to form a super cluster - 'Milkdromeda'. At around the same time, Sol will start becoming a red-giant. In 7-8 billion years, Sol may have expanded sufficiently to engulf the scorched rock that was previously known as Earth. Not long after, the sun will become a white-dwarf. The temperature of the planets in our solar system will plummet.

In 100 billion years, all galaxies within our local group will have merged into a single super galaxy. In 100-150 billion years, objects outside our local group will expand beyond our cosmological horizon. Light emitted by these objects will never reach us - they will be so redshifted that their wavelength become undetectable. Similarly, the cosmic microwave background will cool to undetectable levels. The universe beyond our local group will fade away into darkness. Our local group will be alone in the blackness.

In 1-100 trillion years, gas clouds will be depleted and star formation will end. Eventually all stars in the universe will exhausted their fuel. The universe will become extremely dark.

Beyond this, black holes will dominate the universe for an extremely long time. Eventually (1 googol years) all black holes will evaporate due to Hawking radiation. For pretty much the rest of time, the universe will be essentially be empty and exist in an extremely low energy state.

Although that future is melancholic, we can be grateful that we happen to live in one of the most colourful eras. The night sky is full of light - we are still able to observe stellar objects outside our local group. And for this... I suppose we can thank our lucky stars ;)

Hence the redshift!

I get the impression the Big Freeze is a leading contender as the ultimate fate of our universe? Wikipedia has collated the fate of the universe. It is beautifully depressing. In summary....

In about a billion years, the sun will become hot enough to evaporate our oceans. Runaway greenhouse will have killed off most complex life many millions of years before this event. By about 5 billion years, the Milky Way and Andromeda will collide to form a super cluster - 'Milkdromeda'. At around the same time, Sol will start becoming a red-giant. In 7-8 billion years, Sol may have expanded sufficiently to engulf the scorched rock that was previously known as Earth. Not long after, the sun will become a white-dwarf. The temperature of the planets in our solar system will plummet.

In 100 billion years, all galaxies within our local group will have merged into a single super galaxy. In 100-150 billion years, objects outside our local group will expand beyond our cosmological horizon. Light emitted by these objects will never reach us - they will be so redshifted that their wavelength become undetectable. Similarly, the cosmic microwave background will cool to undetectable levels. The universe beyond our local group will fade away into darkness. Our local group will be alone in the blackness.

In 1-100 trillion years, gas clouds will be depleted and star formation will end. Eventually all stars in the universe will exhausted their fuel. The universe will become extremely dark.

Beyond this, black holes will dominate the universe for an extremely long time. Eventually (1 googol years) all black holes will evaporate due to Hawking radiation. For pretty much the rest of time, the universe will be essentially be empty and exist in an extremely low energy state.

Although that future is melancholic, we can be grateful that we happen to live in one of the most colourful eras. The night sky is full of light - we are still able to observe stellar objects outside our local group. And for this... I suppose we can thank our lucky stars ;)
Nice summary.

Reminds me of this episode of PBS Spacetime:

Sorry this is in French but this is by far the more interesting video about the recent WST's images, he doesn't just say that it is very pretty.

Russia is leaving the ISS in 2024!

Apparently they have plans to build their own orbital station.

Pity, since 2000 the ISS has largely transcended global politics and has been a decent picture of international collaboration. That said the ISS is aging. I believe NASA is planning to crash it into the South Pacific in 2031!

Russia is leaving the ISS in 2024!

Apparently they have plans to build their own orbital station.

Pity, since 2000 the ISS has largely transcended global politics and has been a decent picture of international collaboration. That said the ISS is aging. I believe NASA is planning to crash it into the South Pacific in 2031!
something with ship, sinking and rats

Pillars of Creation (MIRI Image)

STScI-01GFRYYRTCTMX197BY86MBFCR9.png

About This Image​

NASA’s James Webb Space Telescope’s mid-infrared view of the Pillars of Creation strikes a chilling tone. Thousands of stars that exist in this region disappear – and seemingly endless layers of gas and dust become the centerpiece.

Contrast this view with NIRCam image.

STScI-01GFNN3PWJMY4RQXKZ585BC4QH.png

Last edited:
Interesting article I want to stick around long enough to see what James Webb telescope finds in its lifetime. Have read about to get large mirrors in next generation telescopes
new technology will be developed.

If Webb can find water planets that means life can exist as we know it.

A area of the sky the size of a grain of sand has thousands of galaxies it & in our own Milkyway many stars have planets circling them. There must be conscious life out there.
Scientist think that the largest brain ever on planet earth belongs to a living Sperm Whale. 6 times larger than ours most cerebal cortex.
Homo Sapians with explosive harpoons almost hunted it into extinction. Even now the really large males are rare.

Sure in a billion years we won't be around. It's a astronomical certainty.

We are concious beings now living in a diversity of life on Earth.

The next thing after Webb will be the Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope. It should launch in 2027, space gods willing.

On the ground, the Vera C. Rubin Observatory should get first light early 2025.

There is also the Habitable Exoplanet Observatory (another space telescope). That has a planned completion date in 2035, meaning that it might actually launch some time in the 40s (if ever).

For gravitational waves, the Einstein Telescope is planned for 2035 as well. It'll be a lot more sensitive and precise than LIGO.

There is also a space-based gravitational wave observatory in planning, LISA. But that is only a concept right now.

Last edited:
Back