• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Japanese axe

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey, I’m in the market for a Japanese axe. Quick search of the archives didn’t reveal much discussion on the topic. Anyone know who makes the best axes in japan? I see a lot of mizuno, but thought I’d inquire before jumping in. Thanks!

Don't have an axe, but got a hinoura custom made hatchet(nata) a.ka. hunting knife.Was purchased in Japan while visiting the hinoura family. Has a different shape from all his hatchets. You won't find this one online anywhere. Old stock. Let me know if your interested. Cheers
Yash

Hey, I’m in the market for a Japanese axe. Quick search of the archives didn’t reveal much discussion on the topic. Anyone know who makes the best axes in japan? I see a lot of mizuno, but thought I’d inquire before jumping in. Thanks!
JNS carries a few different brands

Yeah axes aren't very popularly talked about. Any maker should be fine, but Tosa is the most famous for its forestry tools. If Sakai is the capital of blacksmith made kitchen knives, Tosa is the capital of blacksmith made forest tools, including axes.

The main choice is whether you want a thinner behind the edge felling axe, or a thicker more obtuse splitting axe. They have different behind the edge thicknesses.

As for best, I have tried many lol, so I can't tell you, more. I just go for ones with nicer engraving or KU, or exposed or clear lamination lines

Yeah axes aren't very popularly talked about. Any maker should be fine, but Tosa is the most famous for its forestry tools. If Sakai is the capital of blacksmith made kitchen knives, Tosa is the capital of blacksmith made forest tools, including axes.

The main choice is whether you want a thinner behind the edge felling axe, or a thicker more obtuse splitting axe. They have different behind the edge thicknesses.

As for best, I have tried many lol, so I can't tell you, more. I just go for ones with nicer engraving or KU, or exposed or clear lamination lines
Great thank you for this info!

Kurotori has posted some axes on IG before but they don't have them on their website. You could try contacting them and ask what they have in shop, I know they only list a small amount of their inventory online. I only have experience with their knives but they were quite good for the price. They originally only made agricultural tools before branching out to knives, so I'm sure their tools are good as well.

Back