Japanese knife maker restocks?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECUSteve

Reaction score
It seems like all the knives I’ve picked out that I’m interested in are currently out of stock. I know it depends on blacksmith, retail sites, and other factors, but I was just wondering typically how often have you all seen a restock take? Thanks!

Specifically the santoku I’m looking at is the Tanaka and it’s out of stock everywhere.

When I started looking to upgrade my kitchen knives several years back I asked the same question about how long would the OOS items be replenished and the joke at the time was always "two weeks". Of course depending on the blacksmith and item it could have been two years or never depending on the craftsman's age. Sorry I don't have any specific information for you.

to whom was this aimed at?
Just other members. Others that have waited patiently for a knife they want to restock. Sorry if in the wrongs section. Just seeking others input

When I started looking to upgrade my kitchen knives several years back I asked the same question about how long would the OOS items be replenished and the joke at the time was always "two weeks". Of course depending on the blacksmith and item it could have been two years or never depending on the craftsman's age. Sorry I don't have any specific information for you.
No problem! Thanks for the reply. That’s kind of what I figured but thought worth asking.

@ECUSteve - One piece of advise I'll offer is that if you have found a knife that you like and it's often out of stock, be prepared to buy it once it becomes available. There are some great blacksmiths that are getting up in age and just don't produce in quantity any longer.

Quite a few knife merchants tend to keep the sold-out knifes on the web listing even thou there’s no re-stocking plan at all. Even the one-off custom knife may still linger for years after being sold.

This leads to google results of non existing knives too frequent, very frustrating.

The last time I asked, the shop owner told me their order has been open and awaiting fulfillment for over a decade. It's anyone's guess why. I optimistically hope the maker just slowed down and decided they're happier with the domestic market...

In the last couple of weeks, I've watched at least three knives I was contemplating go out of stock. Now the wait begins...
Yeahhh. I’ve been waiting for a certain Tanaka santoku to restock but now I think I may buy the Anryu tsuchime before it sells out because I could be left with none of my choices

It seems like all the knives I’ve picked out that I’m interested in are currently out of stock. I know it depends on blacksmith, retail sites, and other factors, but I was just wondering typically how often have you all seen a restock take? Thanks!

Specifically the santoku I’m looking at is the Tanaka and it’s out of stock everywhere.

for hattori in cowry x - 10 years give or take.

@ECUSteve - One piece of advise I'll offer is that if you have found a knife that you like and it's often out of stock, be prepared to buy it once it becomes available. There are some great blacksmiths that are getting up in age and just don't produce in quantity any longer.

my strategy for knife buying is: only look at whats in stock, the rest is fantasy. could turn up in one week, could take 2 years.

If you really want something and have the assets or can finance it in a reasonable time go for it. There are quite some knives I've been eyeing like 6 months ago who weren't on top of my priority list which are sold out now for like 4 to 2 months and I kinda regret it. The worst was one knife I was awaiting to be in stock again for like 8 months, stumbled upon it by pure chance. Was available for like 2 days but I didnt have the cash flow since something unexpected happened and it wouldn't have been sensible to buy it therefore. Still sad.

If you really want something and have the assets or can finance it in a reasonable time go for it. There are quite some knives I've been eyeing like 6 months ago who weren't on top of my priority list which are sold out now for like 4 to 2 months and I kinda regret it. The worst was one knife I was awaiting to be in stock again for like 8 months, stumbled upon it by pure chance. Was available for like 2 days but I didnt have the cash flow since something unexpected happened and it wouldn't have been sensible to buy it therefore. Still sad.
That happened to me in the past few days. Was set on one knife that has been out of stock, was “thinking” about another instead, and then the one I was thinking about sold out lol

That happened to me in the past few days. Was set on one knife that has been out of stock, was “thinking” about another instead, and then the one I was thinking about sold out lol
Yes that's how it goes. Sometimes you just need to listen to your guts and not always search for it maybe a few dollars less or something better or you will miss some nice opportunities in life in general.

Back