JCK Carbonext for petty any good??

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prize78

Reaction score
Hi all. Im after a couple of new knives and i think i've decided on a Itinomonn for a Gyuto from Japanese Natural Stones. Was wondering about a petty too. Have read decent things about the Carbonext line, especially as they are on sale at Japanese Chefs Knife. I was really after a similar style to the Itinomonn....Wa handle etc, so is there anything I may have overlooked at a similar price point to the Carbonext??

Thanks in advance.

Nick

I love my Carbonnext gyuto...to me it is the best j-knife for the price. Granted mine has been heavily modified over the years grinding the face halfway up the blade to thin and have more of a convex grind to it.

What size petty you looking at? Koki at JCK is one of my favorite vendors, and the $7 shipping worldwide is crazy cheap.

Do you live in the US? If so, buy the petty...if you don't like it, I'll buy off you. No risk

JNS has a 150mm suji on sale if that might interest you.

I have a Carbonext petty but the fit and finish of the handle is pretty bad on mine, so even though I like the blade, I don't enjoy the knife so much.

Where do you live, how much do you want to spend, do you require stainless, are all questions on the 1st knife questionnaire found at the top of this sub-forum. If you fill it out you will get responses/suggestions tailored to your requirements.

The Itinomonn is a very good choice for Gyuto. Maxim offers a 210 petty as well that gets a lot of love.

JKI has Gesshin Ginga 150 mm petty, stainless, wa handled, at a mid level price point as well as others that are less expensive and some that are more.

Pls fill out the questionnaire and we'll be glad to help you spend your money.:whistling: (I've spent all of mine already...)

And the Carbonext? Every one (both) that I've handled were well maintained, cut very well and looked like they had been dragged behind a truck for a few miles. Good knife that will never win a beauty contest.

To be honest folks I'm new to the Japanese stuff. So really it's a case of "how much do I need to spend to get a reasonably decent petty"?? There would be no specific task in mind for it and it would be used only at home.

I love my Carbonnext gyuto...to me it is the best j-knife for the price. Granted mine has been heavily modified over the years grinding the face halfway up the blade to thin and have more of a convex grind to it.

What size petty you looking at? Koki at JCK is one of my favorite vendors, and the $7 shipping worldwide is crazy cheap.

Do you live in the US? If so, buy the petty...if you don't like it, I'll buy off you. No risk

Sorry mate, I'm in the UK. Thanks for the offer though, much appreciated. :)

If you want a 150mm wa-petty for the price of the Carbonext a Tanaka is really the only choice. They are available in blue #2 (iron clad) and VG10 (stainless clad). They are available from the Japanese vendors Metalmaster and 330mate. Be prepared for shaky customer service, unanswered e-mails, long shipping times and the customs lottery if you go down this route. But the knives are a fantastic buy in this price range.

I'm with Tim here. If you are after a good 150mm petty, then it's hard to beat Tanaka (I prefer VG10 for the grind and fit&finish).

I have tried 3 Tanaka knives (VG10, blue#2 and Ginsanko), JCK Carbonext, Fujiwara FKM, Konosuke Fujiyama in w#2, Hiromoto AS, Shige and Watanabe pro — all in 150mm length. For an affordable 150mm WA petty I'd get 150mm Tanaka VG10 and for western handle I'd pick Fujiwara FKM — both are very good knives in their price range. Fujiwara FKM having a very good F&F OOTB and ready to roll, while Tanaka usually benefits from some tweaking (sanding handle and easing choil)

Fantastic. Thanks for the advice folks. I think japanese chefs knife stock the Fujiwara FKM, which will ship to the UK no problem. :)

Ok folks, am still looking for a petty.

I really like the look of the Gesshin Ginga, but if i buy from JKI, it's going to cost me at least 50 US dollars to ship to the UK.
So i was looking at Japanese chefs knife. They ship to the UK for 7 USD.
So, any of these worth a look??

I think 150mm is the ideal??

http://japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKIBlueSteelCladSeries.html#KAGAYAKIBlueSteel
http://japanesechefsknife.com/FKMSeries.html#FKM
http://japanesechefsknife.com/HDSeries.html#HDSeries (135mm only available)
http://japanesechefsknife.com/VGSeries.html#VGSeries

Or from Korin....

http://korin.com/Suisin-High-Carbon-Steel-Petty?sc=27&category=280062

Or, do i go that bit longer for something like this:

http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/itinomonn-kurouchi-210mm-wa-sujihiki/

Itinomonn is really nice, but at 350mm total length it's very different from a 150mm western-handled petty.

If I were in your shoes I would go with the Kagayaki aogami. Koki (JCK) is very frank when it comes to describing his products, if he says they are nice knives, they probably are.

FKM is a solid basic knife, the "Hattori" HD (actually made by Ryusen and sold under numerous different brands) is overpriced and the plastic handle would put me off the Masamoto VG.

Yes, this is my thoughts on the Itinomonn. I too was leaning towards the Kagayaki aogami.
Thanks for your help. :)

If you want a gesshin ginga, why not order directly from ashi hamono, the maker of the gesshin ginga line? Shipping is cheaper than from the US (but not as cheap as JCK). Got myself a 150mm Wa-petty, swedish steel (61hrc). Knife + upgrades (the 61hrc & a blonde ferrule) + shipping (Germany) added up to 12550Yen... that's ~69 pounds + tax.

Already own a 210mm wa-petty from the company and had the chance to try out the 150 at a fellow knife-enthusiasts home yesterday... super thin, goes through food like butter.

The Ashi is a good call, and definitely worth the beans if you want a lay-zor - but it'll be north of £100 after HMRC and Parceholeforce get their grubby paws on it.

How much would you reckon shipping then? I've sent an email to enquire. Would it be subject to tax at customs then?? And yes, as you mention, there's the obvious Parclefarce fee too?

I'm just curious, does Kikuichi make something in a petty in their TKC/semi-stainless line?

Rick

How much would you reckon shipping then? I've sent an email to enquire. Would it be subject to tax at customs then?? And yes, as you mention, there's the obvious Parclefarce fee too?

If it gets stopped?

20% VAT
8.5% duty
£13.50 for Parcelfarce.

That's a bit strong when you consider JCK ship to any destination worldwide for $7?!

No doubt some of the cost is absorbed into the markup, but JCK prices are very reasonable imo. Koki is a top vendor.

No doubt some of the cost is absorbed into the markup, but JCK prices are very reasonable imo. Koki is a top vendor.

Yeah, he is. I've had a few knives from him in the past. Although I've never quite figured out why a lot of the knives on the JCK website are 50/50 bevels? I thought the Japanese stuff is usually asymmetrical??

Almost without exception asymmetrically ground. Edge bevels can be close to 50/50 or more asymmetric.

Well my Kagayaki Aogomi arrived yesterday. Very pleased with it. Beautifully sharp OOTB. Full marks to Koki at JCK. Dispatched from Japan on Monday night, arrived at my house in the UK on Wednesday lunch.

Back