Jiro WA petty query

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was lucky enough to pick up a Jiro 180mm wa petty which arrived today. Below is the install on the handle, what are peoples thoughts? I’ve been told it is suited for a right hand user, I’m not so sure. Looking spine down the blade is striaight.

Attachments

• 6A8462A7-4C96-400F-98FA-59E57CDBEB88.jpeg
    6A8462A7-4C96-400F-98FA-59E57CDBEB88.jpeg
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
Is the top and bottom of the handle parallel to each other?

I have a Takada gyuto that looks like that when you sit it like that, but when you pick it up you can see the top and bottom facets of the handle are not parallel.

165245-20220418-122755.jpg

I have two knives with a wonky handle install just like this. I never noticed it use, just saw it one day when I was cleaning and oiling a few and just happened to be looking closely.Ymmv. If you tend to pinch grip it probably won’t affect much. If you prefer a hammer grip, you may notice.

I have two knives with a wonky handle install just like this. I never noticed it use, just saw it one day when I was cleaning and oiling a few and just happened to be looking closely.Ymmv. If you tend to pinch grip it probably won’t affect much. If you prefer a hammer grip, you may notice.

Yeh wonky install is fine but not on a Jiro, I’ve not owned one of his knives before so if may be part of his style but I’ve not found that mentioned anywhere before.

Jiro`s Handle install is wabi sabi as hell. Would not mind if it fits your hands btw. Some western handles you can look thru.

SirCutALot

Back