Jnat sealing question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krwlngicarus

Reaction score
So I have a stone I just sealed and I noticed that there are some cracks that developed I think as a result of the sealer I used which was a spray; zinsser bullseye shellac which I saw was a recommended brand for sealing stones. should I be worried in the long run about this stone? It is a ohira tomae. I did the same with an aoto and did not have at all the same problem. I let both stones dry for the day before doing so. I am just worried later down the line my ohira is going to split and just need some reassurance or advice on what I should do orrrrr if I am just simply SOL and will have to deal with a stone that will crack later during a good lapping.

Was the stone properly dried before sealing? How many layers did you apply? Try to post a few photos, that may guide the discussion.

I air dried the stones in my home, away from sun and heat. I did 3 layers of the sealer and I will post some pictures later today.

20200614_214912_HDR.jpg
20200614_214935.jpg
20200614_215002.jpg

These are the pics of the problem, halp

I have the exact issue on my Ohira Tomae that I got from Iida Tool. Mine came like that from Mr Iida, who said that it wasn't a problem. "I have sealed it with lacquer and it's fine, so don't worry about it", to paraphrase him. It seemed to be that these cracks were the intersections between distinct layers within the stone.

So far the lacquer on mine seems to hold and the cracks have not been exacerbated with use. Hence, I've left mine as is as it seems to have been stabilized. But if I were concerned, I'd encase the stone is a thin layer of epoxy to reinforce the layers (since it's been sealed, putting epoxy into the cracks would now be hard).

Latest posts

Back