JNS Shig and Kato email notifications

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unsharp

Reaction score
Last Monday, could anyone find the product pages for the 240mm Shig and 210, 240mm Kato gyutos? I searched 10 minutes after receiving the email and couldn't find them on the available or sold out product pages. There was a Shig yani available the week earlier that I could only find by searching for it on the sold out page. I could put it in my basket. I also ask, because the 165mm kurouchi 165mm santoku and nakiri sold out knives continuously show up on the Shig available knife page. That's all that has appeared when I've clicked the link in the notification email (one case the yani was 100% still available).

Last edited:
I'm under the impression that Maxim removes the pages once the item sells out, so as to avoid duplicate sales or the like. I'm not sure which items he then puts back up in the sold area, though it's always seemed like he's making way more sales of the knives than end up on the sold area.

I think the sold area makes more sense with stones than knives, or at least I use it more... In part, I check back every so often to remember some of the details of the stones I've purchased.

Last Monday both Shig and 240 Kato sold less than 15 seconds after email notification.
And 210 Kato in less than a minute.
Pretty crazy

Last Monday both Shig and 240 Kato sold less than 15 seconds after email notification.
And 210 Kato in less than a minute.
Pretty crazy

The pages were active before they were listed "in stock". I kept refreshing but nothing. Then all of a sudden I saw the email but I wasn't fast enough to get a Shig 240. It was in my cart but couldn't check out in time.

Yeah, people are using auto scripts. You don't have a chance any more. My recommendation is to find alternate avenues.

Also, he makes it so easy by often showing the items on his instagram a day or two earlier, meaning people then know when to expect the emails.

Last Monday there was a carnage going on for the katos and shigefusas, as they said they all showed out of stock in less than 30 seconds, funny thing is that after everything was showing sold there was a 240 shigefusa left behind, don't know if there was more than one for sale, but for sure people got frustrated and left the page, they didn't notice the shigefusa that was left behind.

And yeah Maksim takes off the webpage after it is sold.

Even here on BST, Shigs and Katos get sold within minutes (there are exceptions, pricing, shipping, etc.) Considering only 1000 are made every year and multiple year wait times .... Its really no surprise they sell so fast.

Shigs approximately 2 a day (heard it indirectly from the source). So max of 730 a year but obviously it’s less

I grateful I’m not new to this shig/kato thing.. new buyers have a very tiny chance imo of getting one let alone multiples

Oh to be collecting knives pre-2014... What a time it must have been.

Google Chrome - search web store for "Page Monitor" and enjoy. Allows you to set background notification of ANY changes made to specific pages, at specific intervals, i.e. check every hour, or every 15 seconds. That way, when online and browsing, you get instant notification that a page has been changed from its monitored state. (For example, it notices when a new knife is posted for sale, and then it notices when the "Buy" box becomes available - each change is noticed and alerted on.) It takes some time to customize and tweak so you don't get buried in notifications, but is a great way to compete with everyone else. It also helps on other websites where you monitor rare stock. The more of us who have a legit shot at that 15 second window, the more likely we are to occasionally "win" over those who have been doing this for years with various levels of sophistication. If for nothing else, now you know how and why folks are so quick on the draw. Technology plus time plus luck.

Get Instagram, follow Maxim, wait for the photos teasing what is coming, subscribe to his emails, actively monitor this plugin (or another of your choice) and then be at a computer at the right time. And then you also need to be fast, logged in, and lucky. Most times, the software will catch changes before any emails go, and you will at least get a heads-up that the next few minutes are time to get your refresh on.

Happy Shig and Kato hunting!

Back