• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD JNS Y Tanaka Damascus Blue 1 Gyuto 210

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esoo

┐⁠(⁠ ⁠∵⁠ ⁠)⁠┌
KKF Lifetime Supporter KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Basically a catch and release. Purchased at the start of a little spending spree on knives, and now I need to bring myself back to reality.

Overall am very impressed with this knife, just being edged out by the Kono MM (just a bit heavier, which mean a bit more steel and a bit more convex).

200mm along the edge, 49mm at the heel and 156g.

In all full disclosure, this knife came from JNS with zero edge on it - wouldn't cut printer paper at all, and under 8x I couldn't see a bevel, so I had to put the edge on it. It was ground as I measured .1mm at the edge at the tip, .2mm at the heel. Progression was 250 king > 1000 Shapton Pro > 6000 Shapton Glass. Cuts well enough to make me happy. But whenever I get to do this, I always get scratches on the right face of the blade (off hand as I'm a lefty).

Other note - the handle is a bit "dry". Usually I put mineral oil on them right out of the box, but was distracted by the lack of grind. Needs a soak in mineral oil.

$510 495 480 470CAD shipping Canada/CONUS ( ~$407 398 389USD). Open to offers (especially if you pick up one of my other knives for sale. nothing else listed right now)

Best pictures I can get right now - raining here, so hard to get good natural light. More pics upon request.
20210504_182546.jpg

20210504_182610.jpg

Two pics of the scratches that I put on while sharpening. Again not great, but I think it shows the kind of thing I talking about well enough. They'd be gone at the first thinning.
20210504_182702.jpg
20210504_182742.jpg

Last edited:
I have the exact same one - great knife!
GLWS!

Just wanted to weigh in. I have had this happen on a few occasions. The knife comes without much of a bevel. My opinion it is a shame for a knife at that price point not to have a reasonably sharp edge. I am sure the last thing he wanted was to do a full progression on a new knife. And of course you run the risk of scratching your new knife. Very disenchanting.

Whenever I get to do this, I always get scratches on the right face of the blade (off hand as I'm a lefty)
I still get scratches (not always) but on the left side of the blade (I'm right handed) so you are not alone. It's sooo annoying 😣

It is a great knife. Very nimble and laser like without being totally so. The buyer will be happy with this knife 👍🏻

Back