Joel black knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badgertooth

Reaction score
Any of our members tried one? There's a 10.5" one I like the look of but it's £400. Don't want to take that kind of plunge on an unknown so was hoping someone had tried one as there's a few interesting things happening in England with Will Catcheside, Dan Prendergast, Blenheim forge and Blok

I notice this post is a few years old. Did you take the plunge?

I did a course with Joel recently. I didn't use his knives but held them. I think he's put his prices down a bit. I would say there worth the money. I like that he's a Chef, all his knives feel very comfortable and nicely balanced for long hours of use.

No, I just can't see it being better than other $500 knives that have established reputations

A work mate hot a blok and isn't very happy with it. I think the heat treatment is a bit weird on it.
I only had a Joel black in my hand for 1 minute. Felt nice but no idea on actual performance

A work mate hot a blok and isn't very happy with it. I think the heat treatment is a bit weird on it.
I only had a Joel black in my hand for 1 minute. Felt nice but no idea on actual performance

And Blok knives might be the ugliest knives ever made relative to their price

No, I just can't see it being better than other $500 knives that have established reputations

Fair play. It is a lot to gamble on a unknown. I know he has a lot of cheaper stuff out there now that is tempting me.

I notice this post is a few years old. Did you take the plunge?

I did a course with Joel recently. I didn't use his knives but held them. I think he's put his prices down a bit. I would say there worth the money. I like that he's a Chef, all his knives feel very comfortable and nicely balanced for long hours of use.

Was it one of his knife making courses, and if so, was it any good?

Was it one of his knife making courses, and if so, was it any good?

Yes it was very good. Only 3 to a class and very good value as i left with a knife i was very pleased with albeit less then perfect (but what do you expect). It was a weekend thing so a bit rushed but the level of tuition was perfect.
He supervises and guides you through forging and hammering only stepping in when one person nearly destroyed there blade.
You do mostly everything yourself. I did ask for some help with finishing the bevel.
It was a excellent weekend.

Latest posts

Back