Just bought, gasp! another stone....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psfred

Reaction score
I was reading the ToolsfromJapan blog the other day and thought I might like to try an Arashiyama 1000 stone, not that I need one, but who knows, maybe I do (haha).

These aren't very common on this side of the Pacific, so I looked on eBay and found not just the Arashiyama but a 100k Kitayama as well, which I bought, just for fun. Neither is very expensive, I'll pick up the Arashiyama next month probably.

Anyway, I've never heard of this particular stone. I have and love the 8k Kitayama. Has anyone used one of the 1k ones? Not that I won't try it out, but I'm assuming it's a semisynthetic like the 8K stone and should produce similar results at the 1k level.

Not that I need any more stones.....

Peter

No, it's ordinary size and dark gray, I think (it won't be here for a few weeks), and different than the Arashiyama 1k, also made by Imanishi. I'm guessing it's a mixture of ground natural stone and synthetic abrasive, probably aluminum oxide, in a resin matrix like the Kitayama 8k, but who knows.

I've not seen it before, was looking for an Arashiyama 1k and the eBay seller was out of stock.

I'll post some impressions when I get it.

Peter

No, it's ordinary size and dark gray, I think (it won't be here for a few weeks), and different than the Arashiyama 1k, also made by Imanishi. I'm guessing it's a mixture of ground natural stone and synthetic abrasive, probably aluminum oxide, in a resin matrix like the Kitayama 8k, but who knows.

I've not seen it before, was looking for an Arashiyama 1k and the eBay seller was out of stock.

I'll post some impressions when I get it.

Peter

just curious why you would assume the stone has natural abrasives mixed in?

Jon:

Because the Kitayama 8k does, and the markings on the box are the same. Just a guess, could easily be wrong since I can't read Kanji. Not much information that I could find, so I'll see why it's different than say a Bester or Arashiyama with the same grit rating.

It was inexpensive enough to provide some cheap entertainment if nothing else.

Peter

For what it's worth, the vast majority of what that stone manufacturer makes do not include natural stone powders and are always resinoid stones

Not that I can claim to have any knowledge on the matter, but metal-master mentions at the product page for the 1k Arashiyama that it has natural stone mixed in it. Maybe that's where the rumor originated?

Both Arashiyama stones have natural stone powder, so does the Kitayama 8/12k, so it's not a great leap to think perhaps the Kitayama 1k does too, it would be logical. This is a guess, not knowledge.

At any rate it was not an expensive stone so if it's nothing great, I'm not out much money.

Peter

i used to think that about a number of stones until i asked the actual makers... it seems like a lot of stones people think have natural abrasive mixed in really dont.

it doesnt matter. if it is at least half synthetic then it is full synthetic in my book, no 'blend'. just like semi-stainless is still stainless as far as i'm concerned. but curious how this stone ends up like.

How does it compare to a Bester 1200? The Bester is great for woodworking tools where stones that stay flat are very important.

Peter

its a bit more creamy and smooth feeling, leaves a more consistent finish and nicer polish, slightly slower cutting speed and a bit less grippy in sharpening and also slightly faster dishing than the bester. It does, however, make the jump from that stone to higher grit stones easier.

i used to think that about a number of stones until i asked the actual makers... it seems like a lot of stones people think have natural abrasive mixed in really dont.
Just out of general interest, but would you care to enlighten us? You mean Arashiyama 6k & Kitayama 8k?

And also, do you think mixing in 'natural' powder really helps? Does it truly make a difference / better finish or is it more of a marketing thing?

Back