• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Kaeru (Wakui) Honyaki Gyuto 240mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tostadas

Hobbyist / Craftsman
Reaction score
Kaeru 242x49mm Gyuto (by Wakui)
Blue #2 honyaki
Burnt Chestnut and Horn Octo Handle

A refined offering from Wakui and a joy to use. It features the same profile as your typical Wakui, relatively flat near the heel and a gentle sweep to the tip. The honyaki models tend to be on the thinner side of his offerings, though they still maintain a firm forward balance. Grind is a 50/50 convex on that is thin but not delicate. The knife has seen minimal use in a home setting. It's been sharpened once, maybe twice on fine stones, and there's evidence of patina which you can see in the current photos and video.

A few F&F adjustments made on my end. I removed the handle and did a full refinish of the blade. Rounded and polished spine/choil on both sides, polish and etch to bring out the banding. I made sure that there is no drag resulting from the etch or finish because that really bothers me. The handle was the octo chestnut from JNS, which I resanded it so that the wood is flush with the ferrule, polished/waxed the ferrule, touched up the edges, torched the wood, and coated with a 2 layers of hardwax oil and fully cured for durability.

$600 shipped & fully insured within US (international I can cover the first $15, PM for details)
Original box is not included but I will ensure it is packaged securely.

Open to trades (Shi.han, Kochi w/ machi, Isasmedjan, cleavers, or anything interesting)

Dimensions
Blade length: 242mm
Height at Heel: 49mm
Weight: 175g
Balance: approx 30mm forward from heel

Spine Thickness
Handle: 2.6mm
Heel: 2.5mm
Midpoint: 2.1mm
1cm from Tip: 0.7mm

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Last edited:
This will be a very nice purchase. l can attest from buying a rehandled Wakui from @tostadas that he does an absolutely meticulous job with F&F work. I’d say his work is professional level, but his level is actually better than most professionals!

Back