• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Kamon, Spare, Yoshikane, TF Mab gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey gang - selling a few to make room for new adventures. Not a bad knife in the bunch but I'm increasingly preferring heftier knives than this lineup. All prices are shipped CONUS, happy to ship to Canada for a little extra, or knock a few bucks off for a package deal. Happy to consider trades (mostly interested in western makers).

Kamon 250mm production (gen 2) gyuto
Purchased recently from @Homechef here, see his listing below for full details. I gave this a quick strop at 6k and used to prep one meal, lots of fun but could tell pretty quickly it doesn't click with what I'm after right now. Obviously this has great food release as well as a wicked thin tip. I do agree with homechef's assessment that it could benefit from a light thinning. Asking $400.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/kamon-gen-2.59994/
Length: 249mm
Heel: 54mm
Weight: 205g

Fredrik Spare MCX 230mm honyaki gyuto
Purchased direct from Modern Cooking from their first drop, see my review below for specs/additional pics/way too much discussion. The fit & finish and craftsmanship on this is excellent for the price point, with the handle construction being a particular standout IMO. My Kono MM edged this one out of my regular rotation and it's too nice to sit in the drawer. Has been used quite a bit at home and touched up on high grit stones a few times but IIRC never a full progression sharpening. Asking $345.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/review-fredrik-spåre-honyaki.56819/
Length: 231mm
Heel: 52mm
Weight: 174g

Yoshikane SKD 210mm gyuto
Bought on another forum earlier in the early days of my collection and... apparently I reviewed this one too? See below. I'm the second owner, the first owner thinned it slightly and left the bevels a bit streaky, which I never bothered to fix. Used regularly at home and sharpened several times. Lives up to the Yoshi reputation of being outstanding cutters for the price and is on the thin end of the weight range these come in. Not really sure why I'm selling, other than that I don't use 210s much these days. Asking $185.
Sub-$250 Sanjo Showdown: Wakui, Mazaki, Yoshikane Reviewed

Length: 210mm
Heel: 46mm
Weight: 125g

TF Maboroshi 180mm gyuto
Purchased from @SolidSnake03 in one of his stupid sales, see post below. This one is free from the dreaded wabi-sabi, with flattened bevels and rounded spine/choil. Came with and easily takes a fantastic edge, I used this a couple times but didn't click with it. Asking $215.
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...n-ryuga-nakiri-and-chosera-5k-throw-in.58931/
Length: 180mm
Heel: 49mm
Weight: 129g

PXL_20220724_032237469 - Copy.jpg

PXL_20220724_032255339 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
How is that mabs? I tried to grab it but you beat me to it!!
It's good! It's my first TF and I can see why people get hyped about TF steel/heat treat, this thing can get really sharp. Grind is good, nice dimensions, tip could use a little thinning IMO but I'm picky. If my Prendergast 185 gyuto wasn't such a go-to in this size I'd definitely keep it.

It's good! It's my first TF and I can see why people get hyped about TF steel/heat treat, this thing can get really sharp. Grind is good, nice dimensions, tip could use a little thinning IMO but I'm picky. If my Prendergast 185 gyuto wasn't such a go-to in this size I'd definitely keep it.
I love my tfs, i remember snake included a stone that he felt was perfect with the knife, did you get a chance to try that out and see how it performed?

Back