Kanji id

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, thought was Tojiro but wasn't sure. Anyone ever tried a high end Tojiro?
I've held a few of them at Seattle Cutlery. Nothing special. Iirc it's VG10 with damascus that costs more than a honyaki.

Can someone help me with this? my Kanji reading is not on N1 level yet..

behind

BgFqSS0.jpg

Thank you

note that Gokujyo on a lot of Yanagiba knives are usually white 3 steel

note that Gokujyo on a lot of Yanagiba knives are usually white 3 steel
Yeah, because I see the seller also sell another Yanagiba and Deba with Gokujyo kanji in white 3, so I'm just gonna take his word for it. The white 3 one has a shabby Fit and Finish, and this one is just really nice.
Do you know who is the main dealer for Gokujyo? is it usually Sakai Kikumori (Kawamura Hamono) or any other brand also have it.

Do you know how bad is their white 3 Deba? or it's similar to their white 2?

Do you know who is the main dealer for Gokujyo? is it usually Sakai Kikumori (Kawamura Hamono) or any other brand also have it.

Do you know how bad is their white 3 Deba? or it's similar to their white 2?

gokujyo is not a brand it’s a generic stamp that gets out in. You see this down a lot with blue 2 steel or Yasuki Hagane as well.
I have never held a brand new deba by that maker.

Can anyone help me with this one, please? Bought at Union Commerce in Tokyo about 10yrs ago, the name of the maker has completely gone from my mind. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200410_084333.jpg
    IMG_20200410_084333.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 29
Can anyone help me with this one, please? Bought at Union Commerce in Tokyo about 10yrs ago, the name of the maker has completely gone from my mind. Thanks!

All it says is Kappabashi Bessaku 河童ばし 別作
Don't think it's a maker/store, but could be wrong.

Hi, i see that you all can help me as well :) Got some info from a package but can't find much about as it's so generic

Edit:typo

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200411-021421.jpg
    Screenshot_20200411-021421.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20200411-021404.jpg
    Screenshot_20200411-021404.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20200411-021331.jpg
    Screenshot_20200411-021331.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot_20200411-021321.jpg
    Screenshot_20200411-021321.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 33
I bought this little knife a few years ago, and i know nothing about it.
15872502965361464507386.jpg

Hi, i see that you all can help me as well :) Got some info from a package but can't find much about as it's so generic

Edit:typo
The first pic looks like the kanji for Shigefusa, however something about it looks a bit off... looks too big, and the cladding on the knife doesn't look like Shigefusa. Hopefully others that know more about the history of Shig kanji can chime in.
Here's your pic (right) to compare with standard Shigefusa kanji (left). Maybe you could post a few additional picturs of the knife?
shig.png
shig 2.png

Last edited:
McMan thank you for your reply
Since last post found more of them, looks like a broken set of some sort.
Looks like that Kanji on Shigefusa is close but quality of those doesn't seem right maybe its just some old stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_20200427_124350.jpg
    IMG_20200427_124350.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20200427_124428.jpg
    IMG_20200427_124428.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20200427_124440.jpg
    IMG_20200427_124440.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20200427_124448.jpg
    IMG_20200427_124448.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
What about this one (I know, crappy picture and faded signs)?

Attachments

• 2EDBFE4D-B2FA-435F-9366-D22EBDD4E922.jpeg
    2EDBFE4D-B2FA-435F-9366-D22EBDD4E922.jpeg
    97.9 KB · Views: 18
Looks like that Kanji on Shigefusa is close but quality of those doesn't seem right maybe its just some old stuff.

I do not believe those are Shigefusa knives.
1. There are enough experts here to tell you about the fit, finish and construction.
2. The second character on the blade does not even exist.
3. Nobody continues the engraving onto the bolster.
4. Even the first character Shige 重 is tilted to the right. Kanji, if tilted, are always tilted downwards to the left. This is regardless of whether the engraver is right or left handed.
5. The Kanji simply "look wrong". From this I would conclude that these are old unnamed knives bought cheaply or at auction, and someone who is not fluent in Japanese (or even Chinese) and does not know Kanji engraved them to look like Shigefusa.

What about this one (I know, crappy picture and faded signs)?

Not so crappy picture, but ridiculously faded Carl.
Top part、parts of Touroku can me made out 登録
Below that was the name but only last two letters くす (ku su)in hiragana remains. Whatever was above it has completely worn off.
Bottom is Tokusen 特撰 Special Selection.

I would be surprised if these were Shigefusa. I wouldn't be surprised if someone put Shiegfusa kanji on there. Probably other explanations as well. Maybe someone that knows kanji well could offers some insight? @KenHash do you have any ideas?

I would be surprised if these were Shigefusa. I wouldn't be surprised if someone put Shiegfusa kanji on there. Probably other explanations as well. Maybe someone that knows kanji well could offers some insight? @KenHash do you have any ideas?

Please see my post 7 posts up. Not Shigefusa knives, not Shugefusa engraving in my opinion.

Please see my post 7 posts up. Not Shigefusa knives, not Shugefusa engraving in my opinion.
Thanks, Ken! Not sure how I missed your post--my apologies.
This one had my curiosity piqued. The kanji looked "off" to me too.
I wonder if this is the forum's first case of knock-off Shigs?

Thanks, Ken! Not sure how I missed your post--my apologies.
This one had my curiosity piqued. The kanji looked "off" to me too.
I wonder if this is the forum's first case of knock-off Shigs?

I doubt it is the first (or last time) that it has appeared on this board. But on another knife board I often address "fake" outdoor knives and there, we often see very serious factory level counterfeiting. And I have seen it with Shun kitchen knives as well. But this example is not in that category, it looks like a rather poor home made attempt.

I do not "speak" Svenka. But I had a Swedish room mate in school many decades ago and I picked up some phrases. Some dirty phrases as well...lol
There are quite a few people from Sweden here in Japan. In fact, have you heard of Yukawa Yasha 湯川 夜叉?

https://yukawayasha.com/en/profile/
https://yukawayasha.com/en/
Wow, never heard of this guy. Fascinating!
Yeah, I bet you picked up some dirty phrases - many people tend to when learning just a bit of Swedish. 😂

Back