Kippington workhorse honyaki pass around

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This image helps to illustrate the problem:
The faces on this cube are all the same temperature, but the differing emissivity and reflectivity of the surfaces make each one appear different to an IR camera. You can even see the reflection of the hand on a couple of the faces. Only the black surface has an accurate reading at this setting (E=1.00), which is the same setting they used in the Ikeda video. In other words, the cameras are set up for an incorrect reading on metal.

LesliesCube.png

(Photographs of an aluminum Leslie's cube. The color photographs are taken using an infrared camera; the black and white photographs underneath are taken with an ordinary camera. All faces of the cube are at the same temperature of about 55 °C (131 °F). The face of the cube that has been painted black has a large emissivity, which is indicated by the reddish color in the infrared photograph. The polished face of the cube has a low emissivity indicated by the blue color, and the reflected image of the warm hand is clear.)

Haha and then you have to come in with Facts and Science and Explanations and boggle my mind with all this fancy talk! Seriously though you really opened my eyes on what the video was showing and about IR tech. Every time I read something from you it’s pretty intense, always a wealth of knowledge I had no idea about

The reason I want to do this pass around is because I would like to drum up support for Kippington. He’s our guy, who relatively recently acquired his hobbiest craftsman badge here at the forum. He’s full of innovative ideas about how to make knives better. As great as it is to chase after accomplished makers whose work resonates with you, I really the idea of supporting a guy like Kippington. This gyuto is great in all the areas that matter to me. He is a math wizard, and it shows in the extreme distal taper and grind. That being said, this is a workhorse. So it does have a beefy feel to it while maintaining a weight that’s comfortable in hand (I wanna say somewhere around 205grams-210 grams).
I wanted this particular knife because I thought I would be cool to own a workhorse honyaki as it seems most honyaki blades are quite thin. So this blade feels special in that respect. But I should point out that he’s not just making workhorse blades, I’ll likely be getting something thinner from him soon.
The steel used was W2, which I found equally enjoyable to sharpen as heiji carbon and mizuno honyaki, although it would be nice to get a second opinion (Anton?). It has all attributes that honyaki fans like IMO. Kippington just doesn’t have an established reputation yet that other makers do. But I’m confident he will once he gets more commissions and feedback. Anyway, if you’re on a Hiromoto honyaki budget I would suggest you atleast consider Kippington first, customizing a honyaki is a pretty cool venture IMO.
Anyway, enough shilling.
This is a very important knife to me so I’m going to be selective about who uses it. Sorry, but that’s just way it’s gotta be. I don’t have any rules set in stone yet but regular posters that have been posting for a couple of years most likely won’t have a problem getting in.

This is awesome I had no idea this was even a thing on the forum! I’d love to try it out, but I don’t know if I want that responsibility If I was even granted permission. But i do love the Community of this place

Sorry for dragging ass on this, and not updating sooner. Passed them off to TKern in person last Thursday. I’d prefer not to comment too much so as not to color the next peoples in lines impressions. I will say that it’s obvious that Kippington has handled a lot of knives. If I didn’t know better I’d think these were made by a veteran craftsman. They feel and perform MUCH better than some well known makers items that I’ve worked with. Very impressed. Well done sir. Well done indeeed.

Sorry for dragging ass on this, and not updating sooner. Passed them off to TKern in person last Thursday. I’d prefer not to comment too much so as not to color the next peoples in lines impressions. I will say that it’s obvious that Kippington has handled a lot of knives. If I didn’t know better I’d think these were made by a veteran craftsman. They feel and perform MUCH better than some well known makers items that I’ve worked with. Very impressed. Well done sir. Well done indeeed.

Awesome dude, thanks for the confidence boost, I needed it this week!

Haha and then you have to come in with Facts and Science and Explanations and boggle my mind with all this fancy talk! Seriously though you really opened my eyes on what the video was showing and about IR tech. Every time I read something from you it’s pretty intense, always a wealth of knowledge I had no idea about

I only know about this because of my research into knife related stuff, gotta keep learning to make em' better. I figured there might be some interest here, as we're all into knives in one way or another. :)
You should try quenching a blade sometime without any temperature aids other than your eyes. I got a real sense of "what the hell is going on right now, what just happened?" which unleashed a colossal appetite to learn more about the smallest details.

I passed the knives off to chinacats in person last night. In turn he gave me a bunch of the world's hottest peppers. I feel like that could become more common place. Trading knives for produce.
As brainsausage said, these knives are very well made and perform great. I didn't get a chance to touch them up on a stone but as is pretty damn impressive. My preference is for the thinner of the two but I can definitely see the love for the other.
Thanks for putting these up for a pass around and thanks to Kippington.

Thanks for the update and your thoughts, I prefer the thinner one too. :)

I reckon it was a really good idea to send two opposing knives around together. I feel they are pretty good representations of thick and thin grinds, and it's great to hear which of the two you guys prefer.

Awesome dude, thanks for the confidence boost, I needed it this week!

I only know about this because of my research into knife related stuff, gotta keep learning to make em' better. I figured there might be some interest here, as we're all into knives in one way or another. :)
You should try quenching a blade sometime without any temperature aids other than your eyes. I got a real sense of "what the hell is going on right now, what just happened?" which unleashed a colossal appetite to learn more about the smallest details.

Yeah I’d love to get into it myself, just don’t have the time nor the money. I remember seeing a Kramer video and he mentions how he watches (learned from the Japanese used to do a long time ago, and sure a lot still do) but they watch the “shadow” come over the knife at some point and it means it’s cooled down or tempered or whatever, pretty interesting.

What is the food release like on your thin knife that’s being passed around?

What is the food release like on your thin knife that’s being passed around?

I have no idea... some people in the passaround have reported that the thicker of the two has the best food release, while others report that the thinner one does it better.
It's all been very interesting to me!

Yeah the moving shadow is called recalescence. It's a phase shift in the metal, the recrystallization/restructuring of the grains, and a beautiful thing to see in person (well, I think so anyway :biggrin:).

[video=youtube;IuPix6pOtNM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuPix6pOtNM[/video]

These will go out early next week and I'll throw in some detailed thoughts once shipped. Briefly, both are very well made and I'd actually prefer a hybrid of the 2;).

Who's on deck? I believe Josh mentioned Son but I didn't see him on the list?

I have no idea... some people in the passaround have reported that the thicker of the two has the best food release, while others report that the thinner one does it better.
It's all been very interesting to me!

Yeah the moving shadow is called recalescence. It's a phase shift in the metal, the recrystallization/restructuring of the grains, and a beautiful thing to see in person (well, I think so anyway :biggrin:).

[video=youtube;IuPix6pOtNM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuPix6pOtNM[/video]

Yeah that’s crazy! I love it! Wasn’t there an ancient word/meaning for it?

Yeah have to agree with Jim, if I had my druthers I’d prefer something between the two of these. That being said I’d take the thinner over the thicker if I was pressed. Thicker had better release, but the thinner had better separation and feel overall imo. Release isn’t as important to me, but I can see why it is for others.

I love my thicker Kippington and I don’t think I’d change a thing about it except the handle. Which by the way is happening next. China, can you send it to panda? While in his possession workhorse will get a handle upgrade. Then to miles.
Chiffonold and pleue, you guys still interested?

Just a reminder for funds to get the laser back to the down under. I don’t need them yet, but if anyone wants to get it out of the way now it’s fine.

Thanks. So there’s 10 participants, if everyone donates $6-7 that should pretty much cover the costs( I’m guessing that will pretty much cover insurance too). We can wait until the end collect the funds. Sound good?

Also, I’m not exactly sure how much postage costs to return Marek’s Kippington back to him in Australia(with insurance) but it would great if everybody could donate a few bucks to help make that happen.

Priority Mail International should cost around $55 plus insurance for any value over $200.
This is the plan.

Thanks for the valuable feedback everyone, I'll start working on a grind between the two.
I'll be honest, combining the two extremes will end up looking like a very normal grind at the choil, but the taper I like to put into the length of my knives should make the performance interesting.

Hey, I guess I can call it the work pony haha! :biggrin:

Thanks for the valuable feedback everyone, I'll start working on a grind between the two.
I'll be honest, combining the two extremes will end up looking like a very normal grind at the choil, but the taper I like to put into the length of my knives should make the performance interesting.

Hey, I guess I can call it the work pony haha! :biggrin:

Funny you should mention that, as my two favorite gyutos have very different grinds from heel to tip. Which is to be expected to some degree with any good gyuto of course. My billipp took a bit to get used to until I realized it was meant to be a true all purpose. The grind is much thicker towards the heel for heavy tasks, and becomes more complex as it progresses. My Toyama has shades of this concept as well, which is why I preferred my 270 over my 240 as I felt it allowed the grind to really do its thing. Hopefully that makes some kind of sense?

i got the kippies in and have some first impressions. i have finally found a laser i actually like, this one cuts amazing and the highly polished jnat edge that was put on it by another member here is actually quite fitting for this knife even though i normally not a fan of refined edges.

workhorse on the other hand i felt was not cutting so well, after processing some veggies i got agitated and instead took to the stones to see how kippington's heat treatment of W2 steel is compared to my mario (it's a toss up, feedback wise kip feels better on lower grit and mario feels better on higher grit. kip was easier to sharpen, i am guessing is slightly lower hrc. upon laying the blade face flat i immediately realized this thing needed some geometry adjustment. perhaps this is why few before me preferred the laser? so i gave it a 30minute thinning session on chosera 400 and light polish on aizu. cuts as i expected it to now, smooth and sexy.

i have not touched the laser on stones yet however will be interesting to see how 1095 pushed to its potential will feel. already love how it feels going through food, got nice spring to it.

i also wanted to chime in on the handles. they are good! they look boring and kinda weird without a ferrule, but it is very comfortable and the wood feels great. the laser has bevels more rounded which i like but is skinnier, i prefer the fatter one on workhorse.

i know this much; out of all the knives coming out of OZ, i only want a KIPPINGTON!! you hear that kip? hurry up and get your shop back running. i guarantee you you'll have orders waiting. just make a bunch of each laser/pony/horse

Back