KKF counts to a million

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
603 - Well eff me. Just fired the tile guy on our master bathroom remodel. Guess he didn't like working with an educated consumer who knows how a steam show installation is supposed to go. General contractor doesn't have another tile guy and our project is now dead in the water until we find someone who knows how to do the job right.

First world problems I know but water and mold don't have philosophical differences.

603 - Well eff me. Just fired the tile guy on our master bathroom remodel. Guess he didn't like working with an educated consumer who knows how a steam show installation is supposed to go. General contractor doesn't have another tile guy and our project is now dead in the water until we find someone who knows how to do the job right.

First world problems I know but water and mold don't have philosophical differences.

That sucks, I hope you can get that done soon.
We are on a roll ourselves, just two days before my in laws arrived the bathtub drain clogged (very old house with all sorts of plumbing and heating issues) and my landlord hasn't solved the problem yet. Luckily the main floor is empty and we have been using that shower but it is a nuisance nonetheless.

That sucks, I hope you can get that done soon.
We are on a roll ourselves, just two days before my in laws arrived the bathtub drain clogged (very old house with all sorts of plumbing and heating issues) and my landlord hasn't solved the problem yet. Luckily the main floor is empty and we have been using that shower but it is a nuisance nonetheless.

Extra strength Draino not doing the trick?

@TheCaptain sorry to hear... :(

606 Valgard - don't know how renter's rights work in your area but in my neck of the woods landlords are generally required to effect repairs on items which impact the reasonable use of the property in 48 hours. Plumbing repairs (clogged drains) are generally easy (snake the line) a $75 plumber call at most. Make sure your landlord knows you have guests and your use of the property is impaired. At a minimum the landlord should give you some type of rent credit.

(Not talking out my ass - DH and I have 5 rental units. We run it like a business not a hobby and take our responsibilities very seriously. Property manager, rental lawyer on retainer, correct insurance and scheduled maintenance).

Thanks for the insights Vicky, he has three units but has nowhere that level of organization. I don't know the laws either and it's my fist time renting with this kind of set up (ad been sharing the house with the owners or in a big apartment building before).
Now I realized I didn't phrase that correctly, he has come a couple of times already. The chemical solution didn't do the trick and he even came and snake the line but that wasn't enough either. He always wants to do things himself, that has worked in the past but this time it hasn't and I'm a bit frustrated because of the timing. I don't want to be too confrontational because he has been cool about other stuff like having my in laws stay for an extended period of time and such. However, I spoke with him this morning and told him he needs to call a pro if the problem isn't solved by tomorrow.

608 what do yall paper out your bamboo steamers with? While standard (non-motif-printed for heavens sake!) kitchen towels seem to work, there surely is better stuff to be had for that even in the west?

610 If one is actually cooking chinese stuff and has napa cabbage around, sure :)

BTW, I guess one could make a dishwasher-proof coating out of the pan residue from steamer water :)

611 1/2 about any other ingredient one wants parcooked ... think veg for a szichuan drypot (ok, a chinese dish, but not one that necessarily involves cabbage) or jalfrezi ... especially since these things, for some odd reason, give great color retention on veg for some odd reason... also, there are steamed breads/dumplings in german/austrian cusine too. The germknödel, a small steamed yeast bread filled with plum jam and sometimes alcohol, typically served with a thin vanilla pudding and/or poppyseeds and butter ... or the Dampfnudel...

611 1/2 about any other ingredient one wants parcooked ... think veg for a szichuan drypot (ok, a chinese dish, but not one that necessarily involves cabbage) or jalfrezi ... especially since these things, for some odd reason, give great color retention on veg for some odd reason... also, there are steamed breads/dumplings in german/austrian cusine too. The germknödel, a small steamed yeast bread filled with plum jam and sometimes alcohol, typically served with a thin vanilla pudding and/or poppyseeds and butter ... or the Dampfnudel...

Dang, you've just given me more foods i didn't know existed that i now want to eat. Vielen Dank XD

613 Didn't want to believe that initially either... The VG10 you get in even a mid-priced knife like the Tojiro ZEN or Ryusen VS is really NOT the same old iron as you find in the $20 supermarket damascus stuff.

613 Didn't want to believe that initially either... The VG10 you get in even a mid-priced knife like the Tojiro ZEN or Ryusen VS is really NOT the same old iron as you find in the $20 supermarket damascus stuff.

614 Are you cross-posting from another thread, or am I missing something?

615 Wanted to leave a... tiny, irrelevant experience ... on a general billboard not in some thread...

Just got home from the Brewfest. Here's the winner in my book.
1491776810824.jpg

620 Morning all. Defrosted around here, the river has almost no ice left :doublethumbsup:. Right now it's 2 C but it should go up to 10 during the day.

Yay! shower is back to service.

621 - Yea! Good for you. :doublethumbsup:

In other news we had to fire the guy doing the tile work on our bathroom remodel. DH and the General contractor tore out all the work he already did and we are now looking for a new tile guy who knows how to do the job right.

I should've gone into construction...

621 - Yea! Good for you. :doublethumbsup:

In other news we had to fire the guy doing the tile work on our bathroom remodel. DH and the General contractor tore out all the work he already did and we are now looking for a new tile guy who knows how to do the job right.

622 Thanks! And I hope you find someone soon.

621 - ... a new tile guy who knows how to do the job right.

624 - unfortunately, that is extremely difficult, these days. Most of the yahoos doing tile now don't even know they're doing it badly. And their bosses don't care, as long as they're quick.

625 - yea. Dh and I research the heck out of everything and pretty much confirmed every.single.thing this guy did wrong. We have a source for a high end custom home builder who we bounce things off of. Wish we could use this guy or his network but that would create.a possible conflict of interest.

625 - yea. Dh and I research the heck out of everything and pretty much confirmed every.single.thing this guy did wrong. We have a source for a high end custom home builder who we bounce things off of. Wish we could use this guy or his network but that would create.a possible conflict of interest.

626 - Curious, now.. .what were some of the things he did wrong? It's not like doing tile takes a rocket scientist, but it amazes me how some of these guys manage to screw it up by doing idiotic things that never would occur to most people.

627 - Well here's my quick list. We're doing a combo steam/regular shower

Things wrong for a regular shower:

1. All durarock boards should be fastened down so there is no flex. Any flex allows for future tiles popping off no matter how good the adhesion
2. All seams should be taped and mudded with a water resistant mud.
3. Tiles should be back buttered and placed on board coated with thinset
4. Special care should be given to make sure corners are sealed tight

Things wrong for a steam shower:

1. All walls should be coated in 2-3 layers waterproofing primer or waterproof membrane before any tile is placed. You should basically be able to take a shower after the waterproofing. Tile is only decorative in a properly installed steam shower.

The seams were not taped or mudded, the corners had gaps you could fit a quarter through. The tiles were placed with blobs of mortar creating huge air gaps between the tile and the wall (perfect place for mold to grow). The dude was basically counting on the epoxy grout to not fail and provide all of the water proofing. The boards were not fastened securely in all places and some had substantial flex.

We ended up deciding to rip out the pan the dufus poured as well.

Sigh.

627 - Well here's my quick list. We're doing a combo steam/regular shower

Things wrong for a regular shower:

1. All durarock boards should be fastened down so there is no flex. Any flex allows for future tiles popping off no matter how good the adhesion
2. All seams should be taped and mudded with a water resistant mud.
3. Tiles should be back buttered and placed on board coated with thinset
4. Special care should be given to make sure corners are sealed tight

Things wrong for a steam shower:

1. All walls should be coated in 2-3 layers waterproofing primer or waterproof membrane before any tile is placed. You should basically be able to take a shower after the waterproofing. Tile is only decorative in a properly installed steam shower.

The seams were not taped or mudded, the corners had gaps you could fit a quarter through. The tiles were placed with blobs of mortar creating huge air gaps between the tile and the wall (perfect place for mold to grow). The dude was basically counting on the epoxy grout to not fail and provide all of the water proofing. The boards were not fastened securely in all places and some had substantial flex.

We ended up deciding to rip out the pan the dufus poured as well.

Sigh.

Yikes! Sounds like he did a fine job :eyebrow:. When we were remodelling our house in Cuba we did a lot of work ourselves (me and my stepfather) but had to hire people for some stuff. We ended up tearing down the kitchen counters or part of it 3 times, it only took a couple of hours of my mum not looking for the guys to screw up things.

630 - Okay, so the "usual suspects" on the list of tiling screwups. I discovered that the backer board in my master shower doesn't even extend all the way to the floor. Apparently, the $1.12 they saved on materials made all the difference to their profit margin. Kinda sucks, now that the pan is settling more than the wall, leaving a gap.

Latest posts

Back