Knife Block Slot Orientation

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Witterings

Reaction score
On the vast majority of knife blocks the slots for larger knives at the top tend to run left to right as in this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/RedCall-Un...a3-ba21-ed9003e5bdd8&pd_rd_i=B0CN31B41H&psc=1
With the minority running top to bottom like this one
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073175...tchen&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&th=1
Has anyone used both / does anyone know if there's any reason for it i.e. it's ergonomically better and easier to choose a knife in the 1st example or sliding them in with the 2nd example blunts a knife as the weight will always be on the edge.

Personally I prefer the 2nd example but thought I'd just ask in case anyone said there's a good reason for most of them being the former.

The advantage of sideways is that the consumer can't rest the knife on the edge, no matter which way you put it in. So my guess is it's basically a way to idiot-proof the design.

As to what's better ergonomically, I think all knife blocks suck since you actually need to aim the tip into the slot. I'm probably not the only one who just ends up stabbing the block at least some of the time...

Had a knife block for many years where the knives are at an angle similar to your example 2.
I put my knives in spine down to avoid cutting into the wood.
I also thought it was the safest and quickest way to get knives out&in again:
If the knife bites into the wood there would be a kind of "stop" to the "in&out" whereas spine down, the knife just easily slips down into the slot.

I think all knife blocks suck since you actually need to aim the tip into the slot. I'm probably not the only one who just ends up stabbing the block at least some of the time...

I totally get this ^^^^ The Mrs thinks they're nicer esthetically than a magnetic strip on the wall and sods law where we'd put the strip it's so cluttered with other things there it'd be far from ideal.

There are also magnetic knife stands. They're not ideal because they take up space on your counter, but they are more convenient to use than knife blocks.
And there are actually drawer solutions that don't suck - or you can easily make something good yourself there for little money.

I have some blocks too but they're more of a cheapskate solution until I can get something better. FWIW the Ikea Reträtt block , though cheap, is actually one of the best blocks on the market because it actually fits long knives, and multiple long ones. But I don't think they sell it in the US.

There’s also open hanging designs like this that look pretty efficient for storage without having to worry about trapping humidity on your blades.

https://www.amazon.com/Rustic-State-Without-Countertop-Universal/dp/B09NS2SHKH/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2ZC07VE7HOVHN&keywords=open+knife+block&qid=1707352307&sprefix=open+knife+block,aps,203&sr=8-4

That does look ineresting ... although I've ordered one which has been dispatched from the US so I'll see how I get on with that.

There’s also open hanging designs like this that look pretty efficient for storage without having to worry about trapping humidity on your blades.

https://www.amazon.com/Rustic-State-Without-Countertop-Universal/dp/B09NS2SHKH/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2ZC07VE7HOVHN&keywords=open+knife+block&qid=1707352307&sprefix=open+knife+block,aps,203&sr=8-4
Have one like this from Etsy that’s was 4x the price lol.

I 100% recommend these, easy to use and easy to grab from. The ONLY gripe is that my cabinets are low so I have to move the whole block to grab from the back

Knife blocks are prone to mold growth too, I keep longer knives in wood sheath after oiling and short ones on magnetic stand.
I've heard people say knife blocks are less sanitary in the past but has anyone actually experienced this? Mold in their block? Unless you're some slob who puts dirty or wet knives in the block I don't really see it happening?

I've heard people say knife blocks are less sanitary in the past but has anyone actually experienced this? Mold in their block? Unless you're some slob who puts dirty or wet knives in the block I don't really see it happening?
Don’t underestimate how nasty some people can be lol.

I’ve never seen it personally but I can imagine

Yes but if people are dumb enough to put dirty knives into a knife block they'll be dumb enough to put dirty knives into sayas or onto magnets. 🤷‍♂️

I saw someone had mentioned the blocks can get dirty / mouldy and hard to clean and my 1st thought was the same as yours .... what idiot puts dirty / wet knives in a block.

A couple of pics of what I bought .... really pleased with it and thanks for everyone's input.

Attachments

• IMG_2753.jpg
    IMG_2753.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2754.jpg
    IMG_2754.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Back