Knife confessions...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been in my new place for five years, i survived with one knife. One month since joining KKF, i have bought five knives.. how do you all resist the temptations??
I recently uploaded this already, but it fits so well here... I was very proud of my minimalistic approach to J-Knives. Kept it under 10 for 17 years. Tried quite a few, but it was always 1 in 1 out (ok 0,8 or so out)... even made it through the pandemic without a knife binge.

I still wonder what exactly happened in '22. But yeah... I now have a collection I guess.

Messer.jpg

I recently uploaded this already, but it fits so well here... I was very proud of my minimalistic approach to J-Knives. Kept it under 10 for 17 years. Tried quite a few, but it was always 1 in 1 out (ok 0,8 or so out)... even made it through the pandemic without a knife binge.

I still wonder what exactly happened in '22. But yeah... I now have a collection I guess.

View attachment 222385

Albeit a relatively small collection but you're getting there....

When I was getting started twenty-five years ago, it seemed like the main choice was between Wusthof and Henckels — I went with Henckels — and I felt so smart by eschewing the typical block package and buying individual knives (a chef, bread, and parer, of course) that I would actually use. I didn’t realize their limitations until (wait for it) my second child asked for a Shun santoku for Christmas that vastly outperformed them even after a recent professional sharpening. I didn’t recognize the Shun’s limitations until I joined KKF in search of what else might be out there and started with a Martell nakiri.

Probably mentioned this before, but I don't actually enjoy sharpening. To me it's just 'necessary maintenance', in the same category as 'clipping my nails', 'shaving' and 'doing dishes'. I like the result, not the activity itself.

Probably mentioned this before, but I don't actually enjoy sharpening. To me it's just 'necessary maintenance', in the same category as 'clipping my nails', 'shaving' and 'doing dishes'. I like the result, not the activity itself.
Here, I'll really add to this confessional: I only like sharpening when I'm showing off.

If I don't have someone watching and going "Holy ****," I'd be just as happy using an Idahone ceramic until I had no other choice but to begrudgingly sharpen on stones.

Here, I'll really add to this confessional: I only like sharpening when I'm showing off.

If I don't have someone watching and going "Holy ****," I'd be just as happy using an Idahone ceramic until I had no other choice but to begrudgingly sharpen on stones.

1712461618490.png

I cleaned out my nice drawer at work and put my knives in a 5 gallon bucket, now when I need a knife, I go in the garage and look in my bucket full of $10,000 worth of knives
I keep my Matsumoto KD clean and ready just in case

Back