Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very happy I managed to get one of them.

Etsy was sorta messed up too - showed nothing for sale unless adding a sort by filter.

There was a goof where Etsy (might have been my fault?) didn't list both of the HD nakiris in the first attempt. Probably your "sort by" search perfectly coincided with when it got re-listed. All's well that ends well I guess.

This up at the site that shall not be named
If anyone is looking

1697469955363.png

Can anyone vaguely knowledgeable advise whether semi integral Honyaki is remotely possible?

I imagine not but Joel’s semi integrals are so nice.

Yes it is possible. The issue comes with the breakage in a honyaki and the issues with the lump of steel at the bolster that holds on to heat in a quench. So usually it becomes expensive as the smith needs to forge and shape an integral for every blank he needs to make one honyaki past the quench. It is also a pain to polish if there are hard edges.

It is probably more efficient to ask for a thick tang. Or weld the tang if you want a western.

Can anyone vaguely knowledgeable advise whether semi integral Honyaki is remotely possible?

I imagine not but Joel’s semi integrals are so nice.
Sure are.
The biggest problem is to get a rather even hamon and in general you will run into problems regarding cooling and tempering. Since the bolster is way thicker it will collect heat and temper the knife differently.
So makers usually forge weld the bolster but it is possible fully forged.
Jonas does them and he even made me a full tang fully forged integral
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/show-your-newest-knife-buy.7655/post-954535Think Joel will handle it

Sure are.
The biggest problem is to get a rather even hamon and in general you will run into problems regarding cooling and tempering. Since the bolster is way thicker it will collect heat and temper the knife differently.
So makers usually forge weld the bolster but it is possible fully forged.
Jonas does them and he even made me a full tang fully forged integral
https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/show-your-newest-knife-buy.7655/post-954535Think Joel will handle it
Is there a negative effect of uneven hamon on the bolster? Might have a cool design at least

Is there a negative effect of uneven hamon on the bolster? Might have a cool design at least
yes, there is stress due to the different phases of steel represented by the unevenness in hamon which would be undesirable in a loadbearing part of a knife. whether it matters for your use is preference, but i avoid it. there is enough depth in a properly made knife with good hamon for me ;)

1697493596237.png

Latest posts

Back