Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
*Content advisory warning - Jiro whinge*

I genuinely cannot fathom how anyone could have been faster to checkout than me on today’s drop at Stay Sharp (and every other drop at every other store for the last 18 months :eek:) without using bots.

Can someone please put me out of my misery and sell me one, or failing that post a long rant about how overhyped and overpriced they are now?

I will probably have to bow out from the search if prices keep going up at this rate, £665 is fully into the collector bracket and I’m more interested in having one as a user.

idk if i'm exposing some grand secret but i've been able to get 2 jiros (including one from stay sharp a couple months ago) by guessing what the url will be (most shops have the same naming taxonomy) and then refreshing that page right at the drop time.

idk if i'm exposing some grand secret but i've been able to get 2 jiros (including one from stay sharp a couple months ago) by guessing what the url will be (most shops have the same naming taxonomy) and then refreshing that page right at the drop time.
Great master Yoda, if you win some more using the Force, will you sell it to me🙏🏼🙂

Please....no more 😭

green-mile-im-tired-boss.gif

Maybe it's a dumb question, but why are they so expensive?
I often wonder the same compared to the other Manaka offerings, but from what I understand it's all done by hand, no power tools, stone finished bevels combining damascus, the tsuchime and his best finish. I'm no expert, but that sounds like a lot of shop time.

The damascus is done by hand, a lot of the makers are using pre laminated pieces

There’s a lot of other little specials put into there as well

I often wonder the same compared to the other Manaka offerings, but from what I understand it's all done by hand, no power tools, stone finished bevels combining damascus, the tsuchime and his best finish. I'm no expert, but that sounds like a lot of shop time.

I have a white #2 bunka from Manaka.

I think the bevels are well done, and finished on naturals to give a kasumi that’s nicer than most stock finishes I’ve seen.

The shinogi comes wonky, but that’s the price for a flat bevel with minimal low spots and is preferable in my view to something that looks crisp when new but then ends up being a bit of a nightmare to thin.

However (and most importantly), I have found the heat treat of the White #2 quite underwhelming; it takes an edge quickly, but only lasts a short time before completely dropping off a cliff and becoming unusable. Can’t comment on the blue variants he makes, but I’ve not heard any complaints.

I pretty much just use mine as a polishing/thinning beater these days.

Not convinced by that Ku finish. Looks applied, as in painted on.

Not convinced by that Ku finish. Looks applied, as in painted on.
I don't disagree with you. I'm just noting what I've been told by one vendor and what I heard from someone else who had experience with them. In each case they seem to match the marketing I see regarding the line. I can't say anything from experience, so I take that marketing with a grain of salt.

I don't disagree with you. I'm just noting what I've been told by one vendor and what I heard from someone else who had experience with them. In each case they seem to match the marketing I see regarding the line. I can't say anything from experience, so I take that marketing with a grain of salt.
Well if you have been told it was "all done be hand" that could also include the Kurouchi finish ;)

Listing said it was a kiritsuke 🤔

I know it was a Metal Flow but wasn't able to see the Spare handle, nor the dark finish if it's different from a regular one
Yeah I don't know why. But it was a gyuto with spare handles. And now the listing is gone :/

Back